BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What do you do to get your bees ready for winter and did it work?

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #4530  by Chrisbarlow
 15 Aug 2019, 15:48
I would leave super on, feed em up and take QE out.

I stop feeding when they've got enough stores or they stop taking it. If they stop taking it but still haven't got enough stores , I would stick a slab of fondant on for them to access.
 #4539  by MickBBKA
 16 Aug 2019, 19:50
I think 8 national frames or the equivalent of liquid stores is about right to get a national brood box full of bees through winter. talk of hefting hives is always ambiguous as hive types can be very different in weight. I would say it should just feel very bloody heavy :shock:

Cheers, Mick.
 #4541  by Patrick
 17 Aug 2019, 08:44
MickBBKA wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 19:50
talk of hefting hives is always ambiguous as hive types can be very different in weight. I would say it should just feel very bloody heavy :shock:
Yes I don’t claim much different calibration to that either tbh Mick. Maybe an intermediate notch between “bloody heavy” and “Strewth, is that box empty? of “Hmm, that’s not heavy ” .

The middle notch only raises an eye brow depending when it occurs in the winter period. In my part of the South, light in a warm April probably not an issue , light 6 weeks earlier = issue. Let’s face it, for most dozen colony beeks it’s hardly an onerous task when you already there anyway.

Hive types and configurations differ in absolute weights - nucleus to double brood etc but it’s still possible to make educated guesstimates. It’s like the fish, I never weigh them anymore but just go for a visual guess before returning them - they are mostly huge, obviously😋😂

As with all things, if its no good to you, don’t do it. :D