• DIY feeder

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #5438  by Alfred
 11 Jan 2020, 13:45
https://ibb.co/QPrJJ1s
Can't get image to work sorry
My plan for world domination

I put some tiny nail holes in the plastic tops obviously...
Can be sterilised with boiling water
Save buying contact feeders but cost a fortune force feeding the grandchildren chocolate spread until spring
Will it work or will the childhood obesity have all been for nothing?
 #5440  by NigelP
 11 Jan 2020, 17:14
Honest opinion Alfred, looks a little on the small size!
If you need to feed.... feed, don't mess around. Feed in litres.
You need those Nutella 2kg plastic Xmas special jars if you want to get the grand kids fat.
 #5444  by Chrisbarlow
 11 Jan 2020, 22:24
I agree with Nigel, go big if your feeding. Your feeding for a reason.
 #5445  by Alfred
 12 Jan 2020, 09:01
Ok point taken NP
I thought it would be good for the polynucs instead of their rapid feeders.
And I'm a tightwad.
It's about 750 ml although I've seen 1 litre contact feeders aplenty- what's the reason for those then?
Chris are you referring to bees or kids???
 #5448  by NigelP
 12 Jan 2020, 11:08
Contact feeders are awful things anyway. They often leak their contents all over the bees when the atmospheric pressure drops (or is it rises). I used them for the for the 1st few years I was beekeeping but got disheartened at drenching bees and the difficulties they imposed. Used rapid feeders of one form or another ever since.
I recall there was some sort of rationale for using contact feeders for spring stimulative feeding, but as that is something I don't need to do in my area (pollen patties aside in very cold springs) I've now forgotten what the reason was. Anyone recall?
Last edited by NigelP on 12 Jan 2020, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
 #5453  by Chrisbarlow
 12 Jan 2020, 13:36
Alfred wrote:
Both looking at my little one.
 #5463  by AdamD
 12 Jan 2020, 17:26
NigelP wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 11:08
Contact feeders are awful things anyway. They often leak their contents all over the bees when the atmospheric pressure drops (or is it rises). I used them for the for the 1st few years I was beekeeping but got disheartened at drenching bees and the difficulties they imposed. Used rapid feeders of one form or another ever since.
I recall there was some sort of rationale for using contact feeders for spring stimulative feeding, but as that is something I don't need to do in my area (pollen patties aside in very cold springs) I've now forgotten what the reason was. Anyone recall?
I guess that contact feeders do mean that the syrup is in contact with the bees - sometimes literally as it sometimes drips on them! You are right that as the sun warms the hive during the day, there is a possibility of the air inside the feeder expanding which allows syrup to exit the feeder. A strong colony can cope better than a small one and lick up the resultant feed. They can be useful for a gentle feed over a few days if lots of the holes are blocked up.
I do use them occasionally.
 #5464  by AdamD
 12 Jan 2020, 17:30
Alfred, you need to feed the children popcorn!

The buckets can be used as feeders with some 1 mm holes drilled in the lid. The trasnlucent plastic has the advantage that you can see what's inside whereas the commercially supplied contact feeders are usually white so you can't see how much has been taken.
 #5471  by Alfred
 13 Jan 2020, 12:27
Chrisbarlow wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 13:36
Alfred wrote:
Both looking at my little one.
:lol:
Popcorn ? no way ! - they have a good enough start in life with chocolate,pop ,crisps and pizza.

I thought I was onto a winner with my clear glass model.
It can be sterilised and its fairly heavy and stable for when the deer are mooching around the hives in the early hours.
Plan B then.
Nigel if the alternative is rapid feeders is there a risk that they store it rather than eat it?
 #5474  by NigelP
 13 Jan 2020, 15:12
Bees storing syrup happens whatever type of feeder you use. If the "nectar" is in excess to their metabolic needs it will be stored. It's desirable in autumn and to be avoided like the plague in spring.