BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Over heated Honey

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #5150  by Chris B&W
 05 Nov 2019, 21:17
I recently forgot about honey left in the warming cabinet. I now have 30lb of dark caramelized honey. I have used some in Mead, cooking , coffee and on my weetabix. What else can I do with it other than flush it down the loo?
 #5152  by AdamD
 06 Nov 2019, 10:49
It's going to keep for a long while so there's no rush to dispose of it.
Being a cheapskate, I wonder if it could be diliuted with sugar syrup and fed to bees at some point, but for the equivalent of a few quid in sugar, probably not worth the effort in any case - and it's not going to be ideal bee fodder with hmf levels very high - so not on the 'recommended list' of how to feed bees!
 #5153  by Patrick
 06 Nov 2019, 14:25
Famously, Scouting founder an apiarist Baden-Powell over heated some honey to the colour of a dark treacle, which he then entered into a series of honey shows and allegedly won a number of First's.

Whether these successes were down to the paucity of other entries in the dark honey class, Judging shortfalls or awareness the entry had been supplied by Lieutenant General Lord Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell, OM, GCMG, GCVO, KCB, KStJ, DL, history does not relate.

But unless Chris can muster a similar alphabet of letters after his name, a ploy maybe better not replicated? :)