BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Bees nesting advice

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #5119  by JohnLatham
 31 Oct 2019, 14:42
Hi all.

While cutting back a bush in the corner of the garden last weekend I clearly upset some bees. I didn't notice until I was trying to pick up all the cuttings. They are not swarming and the swings in that corner of the garden are not in use at this time of the year but I wanted to check with some experts on what is best to do. They appear to be nesting in a gap in the rockery.
I took some video on my phone, apologies for the quality.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuzIr9GndPvqgapLVKrhazFkI8Y5VA?e=yalUqk

I'm happy for them to stay there if it makes sense. If they stay, is there anything I can do to help them over the winter?

Thanks
 #5120  by Alfred
 31 Oct 2019, 16:37
I can't load the video but if they're in or near the ground they could be bumblebees
Endangered but not protected,you'd be doing your bit by leaving them alone.
If they're honeybees then next spring get a local beekeeper to take a look but again it would be better to leave them alone.
They should have built up their winter stores themselves so leave nature to decide their fate.
 #5122  by NigelP
 31 Oct 2019, 21:03
Vid appears to show some bees, possibly from a nest underneath the fence behind the swing.
Leave alone for now.
This time of year nothing much can be done. If flying next spring worth considering removal due to close proximity to swing..
 #5123  by JohnLatham
 01 Nov 2019, 10:30
Thanks very much both.
I'm clearly no expert but I don't think they are bumblebees as they are smaller. I think they are honeybees, so as suggested I will wait 'till spring and then use the resources on this site to find someone to come and take a look if there is still activity.

Thanks again.
 #5125  by Patrick
 01 Nov 2019, 13:30
Hi John

From the pattern and speed of their flight I reckon you may indeed have honey bees as lodgers.

You may find they apparently disappear during cold weather but are surprisingly active on sunny days, so keep an eye out. If you have pets or kids putting up a little barrier around the entrance area might be worthwhile?

Being located behind a shrub they may have been there a while but If they are recent arrivals it is quite possible they will not survive the winter. We are told 4 out of 5 swarms don’t survive naturally so don’t feel bad if that is the case here.