BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #5038  by Chrisbarlow
 17 Oct 2019, 17:45
Putting mouse guard's on. Not finished still some to do. Bees very active still.
 #5041  by Chrisbarlow
 18 Oct 2019, 19:01
Extracting honey. Also trying to make some chunk honey as well using comb from foundationless frames. I've put the comb in the jars, just need to top em with honey.
 #5042  by Patrick
 18 Oct 2019, 22:32
Nice one Chris - I think chunk honey looks the mutts nuts. Bit of a fiddle, but lovely to see.

Do you have some clear slow to granulate honey to fill them up with or are you going for a quick turnover?
 #5047  by Chrisbarlow
 19 Oct 2019, 13:42
Patrick wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 22:32
Nice one Chris - I think chunk honey looks the mutts nuts. Bit of a fiddle, but lovely to see.

Do you have some clear slow to granulate honey to fill them up with or are you going for a quick turnover?
Ta Patrick. The master plan is...

Use a peice of comb that's sits top to bottom so it doesn't float in the honey.

I am gonna dig out a bucket that's still liquid. I do want quick turn around but I want customer's to be able to have in the cupboard and it looks good for a longish time.

I'm hoping the honey will also be lightish in colour. fingers crossed
 #5048  by NigelP
 19 Oct 2019, 14:31
Be interesting to see how it goes around the Leeds area.
It doesn't sell well (if at all) around here (North Yorkshire/Teesside), people are interested but not enough to buy it.
I know it's very popular darn sarth.... I was explaining this to the last person who asked me why I didn't sell it..... and then he explained that he was on holiday from Kent!
If it sells well for you I might be tempted to try it again next season to see if peoples tastes have changed...but in general I find when it comes to honey they are very conservative around me.
 #5051  by Chrisbarlow
 19 Oct 2019, 15:22
I've had someone ask me for it. I said I didn't do it and I couldn't this year as I didn't have the comb. However I was extracting yesterday and found some nice foundationless frames that have not been laid in. So I thought why not. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Any suggestions on retail price? I'm thinking between £6-£7
 #5054  by Patrick
 19 Oct 2019, 18:24
In the Sarf West you will sell 10 or more jars of clear or set for one chunk. Comb honey is also inexplicably slow to move although I personally consider it to be the best honey by a country mile.
 #5056  by Chrisbarlow
 20 Oct 2019, 09:30
Not only Comb honey is the best honey but it's the only raw honey
 #5082  by Alfred
 24 Oct 2019, 13:27
Gas hob converted to lpg,maiden voyage
Excuse for buying the parts was for bee related but cups of tea will be the main use.
Gave them their syrup warm-two frosts already, it they're still taking it steadily.
Expected them to have a Ready Brek glow
Bitterly disappointed
Turns out it doesn't exist and I've been believing a marketing lie for four decades.