BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Treating (Apitraz)

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #4534  by Japey Edge
 16 Aug 2019, 10:03
Hi everyone,

I have Apitraz to treat my colonies. I have two full size nationals and one 6 frame nuc. One of the nationals has partially filled a super with honey so if I can I would like to take that.

Would I be causing any issues if I put the Apitraz in my other national and the nuc now, then waited until the super comes off the other colony before treating that one?

This is all because I can't treat the colony with honey just yet. Am I best waiting until later and doing all at the same time?
 #4536  by AdamD
 16 Aug 2019, 12:00
I would not personally be worried about delaying the treatment of one stock.
 #4890  by Japey Edge
 27 Sep 2019, 10:15
So tomorrow marks the 6 week point for two colonies. It will be the end of week one for my other colony.

Is it imperative that I remove the strips dead-on 6 weeks? Or can they stay in a little longer? Say, if weather really didn't permit removal.

Would it be advantageous to leave them in a little longer so the last colony can get a couple more weeks of treatment in?
 #4895  by Chrisbarlow
 27 Sep 2019, 15:13
It is superior to treat all colonies at once in an apiary but if circumstances prevent this, then treat as you suggest. Better than not at all.

As for leaving in, a couple of weeks, I suspect would be fine but leaving in longer is how resistance develops.