British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• New to beekeeping

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #4496  by NigelP
 14 Aug 2019, 05:50
Alfred wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 20:53
Check out the Dave Cushman website for a solid experience-based info-base.
It's pleasantly dated and low-tech and the guy was clearly a genius with bees.
Be careful using that site, it's now a mixture fact, conjecture and just plain wrong in places.
 #4502  by Buckfastbee
 14 Aug 2019, 14:00
Thanks very much everyone, it will soon be bonfire night, this year's theme is Kenyan Top Bar Hive with petrol :lol:
So I'll get the frames I need for the current nucleus, I'll look at manufacturer's seconds as a cheap alternative and starter kits.
What started out as a bit of using up old wood has actually spurred me on to get serious after years of thinking about keeping bees, into actually buying books, joining a forum and getting advice from experienced people, so it's not been too much of a waste.
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll start making my Christmas list.
 #4503  by Japey Edge
 14 Aug 2019, 14:31
Hi Buckfastbee,

I have two Abelo poly nationals and they are great. Good quality high density stuff. The bees seem to love it and it can take a beating. They have solid plastic in all the places you need it (like where the hive tool would dig in or where you would bash it).
I also have two Maisemore poly nucs which are lower density but still good. Hive tool digs in a little bit when I try to part propolised end frames.
Also, B&Q do some tester pots of masonry paint in any colour you like - I bought quite a few different colours to play around with. Painting the outside of your hives will give them some protection - poly or otherwise.

I only started out this year, and after some research I could only conclude that poly would suit me. I live in the North East so I reason that poly will give my bees a better chance against the weather. Are you set on either way? Poly or wood? Both?
 #4510  by AdamD
 14 Aug 2019, 19:26
The advantage of wooden National;s is that they are interchangeable. If you have one brand of poly, the chances are that they will not mate with other brands, so it's worthwhile deciding what brand you would chose.
 #4512  by Japey Edge
 14 Aug 2019, 20:56
AdamD wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 19:26
The advantage of wooden National;s is that they are interchangeable. If you have one brand of poly, the chances are that they will not mate with other brands, so it's worthwhile deciding what brand you would chose.
Very good point - that's why I've gone with Abelo as I was assured interchangeability. Some other poly manufacturers aren't compatible with wood as you rightly say.
 #4514  by NigelP
 14 Aug 2019, 21:22
Abelo poly National hives and wooden national poly hives are completely interchangeable.
 #4540  by MickBBKA
 17 Aug 2019, 02:12
Japey Edge wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 14:31
I only started out this year, and after some research I could only conclude that poly would suit me. I live in the North East so I reason that poly will give my bees a better chance against the weather. Are you set on either way? Poly or wood? Both?
I am in Billingham and have tried poly and wood hives side by side and can honestly say I have found no difference. If truth be known there was very little between the biggest producers in both. The poly did actually come out top 148lbs v 136lbs but that's no margin to be clear. What I did find was in the really bad humid weather in July the poly hives couldn't stay cool and the bees were fanning on 3 sides of the hive. TBH I really like the Abelo poly hives, but I won't be rushing to swap. I have found in my local area the right feed at the right time is more important than the box they are in. Its taken me quite some time to figure that part out. The results prove the data.

Cheers, Mick.
 #4542  by NigelP
 17 Aug 2019, 09:33
Count the frames of brood in spring.
My wooden were always on 2-3 and the poly hives were usually on 5-6. The difference that makes to the spring rape harvest is quite amazing. As are your yields from your area....Noting that I live at higher altitude where we average 2 degrees lower winter temps than the vale of Mowbray about 4 miles away.
Those blocks in the abelo hive can be removed to provide (dare I say it) through ventilation in hot weather.
 #4543  by Japey Edge
 17 Aug 2019, 09:49
Cheers Mick,

Interesting to know. I'll probably not be able to do any comparisons of my own as another hive turning up may earn me an early grave :lol:

Interesting to see though. Regarding the bees fanning - would that mean a more active use of the vent blocks and removing the OMF tray would be needed? You have much more experience than me so my questions are really just questions - not trying to argue ;)