BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Varroa control

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3721  by Alan_A
 23 Jun 2019, 15:58
Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice on Varroa treatment. I have a colony that came from a split at the beginning of May, They failed to produce a new queen but have managed to do it at the third attempt and hopefully a new queen will emerge in a few days time. The problem is I'm getting a might drop of about 50 over 7 days, maybe it's high because there is hardly any sealed brood (about half of one side of a frame) and most of the mites are on the bees.

Whatever the reason I would like to treat them. I'm reluctant to use MAQS with the possible emergence of a new queen and also because of the high temperatures that are predicted in a few days time. The hive has 1 super thats about half full and there are also stores in the brood box so would it be ok to remove the super for a few days and vape with oxalic acid and if so how long should I leave the super off for and should I cull the remaining brood. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Alan
 #3741  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Jun 2019, 22:27
how many frames of bees and how much brood is in there?

what about a vaporisation 3 times, once every 5 days. I suppose to you have a vaporiser. I suspect this would be the less intrusive of any medication.

or depending on how much broodm could you remove all sealed brood and replace from a clean colony?
 #3747  by Alan_A
 24 Jun 2019, 06:29
Thanks for your reply Chris.

They were on a brood and a half but dwindling now and back to a single brood, still quite strong though with bees covering all the frames. There is only half of one side of a frame of sealed brood which is what remains of a frame of eggs I gave them 2 weeks ago.
3 vapes every 5 days should do it, I was just wondering what to do with the super, If I take it off while I'm vaping when can I put it back on. If I get a new queen I'll be leaving it on for the bees winter stores so would a week after the last vape be ok?
 #3749  by Chrisbarlow
 24 Jun 2019, 08:38
If your leaving it on them for winter, I wouldn't remove it at all.