BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• How Angry Would You Allow?

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #3448  by Japey Edge
 08 Jun 2019, 19:45
Question: How angry would you let your bees get off with before re-queening?

My scenario:
One hive, last year's marked queen, no idea of breed so assuming mongrel. I can walk near the hive fine, just no sudden movements and don't get near the entrance.
During inspections, smoke sends most down into the frames. 5 or more go into the air and buzz around me. As the inspection goes on, more take to the air. Some have a 'peck' at my veil, others at the hands. Any quick(ish) movement over the frames makes more go for whatever is moving (hand, hive tool etc.).

I saw a YouTube video by Paul Kelly at UoG and he was talking about breeding for good behaviour. At one point he waved his hand fast over the top of the frames and not one bee flinched. He said he wouldn't tolerate that and breeds it out.
Do others agree? Or is that just the ideal scenario? I know I need to find out what works for me, but I'm curious to know if others would class this as too aggressive for their apiaries.

Also, has anyone bought a buckfast bee from Abelo? Any joy?
 #3451  by Chrisbarlow
 08 Jun 2019, 20:33
At UOG they have vast resources (financial as well as skilled people and high quality bees), instrumental insemination equipment and access to isolated mated stations. Due to this they can breed the best bees possible and consistently.

Breeding calm bees is something everyone
should aspire to but can be quite difficult to put it mildly. The best comment I can make is every queen rearer should have a culling process in place.

What you describe isn't great but that doesn't mean kill her or keep her, that's your shout.

As for abelo buckfast, I've never had them but a friend of mine has and he's happy with them.
 #3452  by Alfred
 08 Jun 2019, 20:48
Well all mine have moody days (including the two legged one) and for my sins I tolerate everything until things stabilise -theyre all new colonies and Im a new keeper.
And I put the toilet seat down every time
The evil nemesis hive appears to be calming down. I suspected it was a new queen on old stock.They were stinging and chasing me for entertainment but last inspection were a lot better.
The flipside is one of the captured swarms, who are normally like a bag of sleepy kittens, were hanging off the veil screaming blue murder.As I bent down to pick up the roof my suit tightened and they stapled my shoulders four times.
Im finding that without a mentor with a strong guiding hand it is very difficult to know what to allow-I dont subscribe to the shangri la claims of perfectly behaved bees all the time.
If some gigantic ape took the roof off my house ,killed my baby sons and stole my food I certainly wouldnt just stand and watch.
 #3454  by Patrick
 08 Jun 2019, 21:14
Alfred, sounds like you are not having a very jolly starting out beekeeping. If your worst colony is the nuc you bought, I reiterate my previous advice - you need to return it to the seller and ask your money back without further delay.

The spring flow of nectar here has all but stopped and we await the bramble which is just starting. If that is also true for your location then they will become more defensive as they want to keep what they have gathered from potentially robbing neighbours.

The weather here has also become unsettled, that can also make them more mardy.

It is also possible some may have swarmed and they are queenless - classically without a queen and open brood that makes them much more irritable and flighty.

What are you using as smoker fuel?

Do they have stores / honey? If not and they are hungry not only will that make them cross it also makes smoke much less effective.

It is not often mentioned that colony temperament can vary throughout the season for all the above reasons and that is quite normal. If you only have colonies that are permanently aggressive then you need to get local advice from your local association.
 #3459  by AdamD
 09 Jun 2019, 16:07
Japey Edge wrote:
As the inspection goes on, more take to the air. Some have a 'peck' at my veil, others at the hands. Any quick(ish) movement over the frames makes more go for whatever is moving (hand, hive tool etc.).
I would not expect my bees to do that - the colony would be on the -re-queening list.
 #3462  by Alfred
 09 Jun 2019, 17:26
I had a week off work last month and managed to attend three association meetings
One was with bees that were similar behaviour to my "kittens" while both the other sessions had the 'instructors' getting stung just like the bad nuc.
It's hard to know what's acceptable and what's personal preference.
Patrick - the thing about this is, despite the odd puncture I'm in my element with this lark -absolutely loving it.My only regret is not starting 20 years ago.So to me and perhaps Japey too we don't know any different.
Perhaps it's a bad thing for beekeeping in general.
 #3470  by Chrisbarlow
 09 Jun 2019, 21:39
WalnutTreeBees wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:04
Maybe we'll be needing the more feisty ones once the Asian Hornet takes hold!
I am happy to wait for that day. Although it is coming. I'm surprised there hasn't been a sighting yet this year.
 #3472  by Patrick
 10 Jun 2019, 01:41
Alfred wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 17:26
Patrick - the thing about this is, despite the odd puncture I'm in my element with this lark -absolutely loving it.My only regret is not starting 20 years ago.So to me and perhaps Japey too we don't know any different.
Perhaps it's a bad thing for beekeeping in general.
Delighted to hear it Alfred. Trust me, my comments were in no way a downer on you. I am just frustrated that someone has sold you a nuc that from your description is so naturally aggressive. If you can’t provide decent bees for beginners then don’t go into the bee selling game.
 #3476  by Japey Edge
 10 Jun 2019, 14:33
AdamD wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 16:07
Japey Edge wrote:
As the inspection goes on, more take to the air. Some have a 'peck' at my veil, others at the hands. Any quick(ish) movement over the frames makes more go for whatever is moving (hand, hive tool etc.).
I would not expect my bees to do that - the colony would be on the -re-queening list.
The difficulties of having only one colony. Will give a few more weeks/inspections so I can really grasp their mood and temperament.

If I buy in a queen I might have a go at raising more queens from her. Mini mating hives are pretty cheap.