BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Microbial Activity of Honey

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #1158  by AdamD
 22 Oct 2018, 18:46
A recent advert in the 'paper for Manuka honey made me wonder how 'good' our own honey is. Manuka honey is supposed to have a high methylglyoxal content (MGO) which sets it above other honeys. And people will pay hansomly for it. How do you measure MGO and is 'normal' honey even close to the high levels apparently found in New Zealand manuka honey?
 #1197  by NigelP
 26 Oct 2018, 21:28
AdamD wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 18:46
How do you measure MGO and is 'normal' honey even close to the high levels apparently found in New Zealand manuka honey?
First you heat treat the honey to destroy the it's natural antibiotic properties through the glucose oxidase generating hydrogen peroxide pathway. Then you can measure the MGO activity in manuka honey. Essentially you take a petri dish with agar and a lawn of bacteria. Dig a small well and add honey. The distance in mm of bacterial kill away from the well is the number you see on the manuka honey...25=25mm.
 #1214  by AdamD
 28 Oct 2018, 17:43
Thanks for the replies...
Last year we had an example of using honey as a wound dressing for a hedgehog. (!) It had been mowed or strimmed and given to my son who volunteers for a wildlife rescue charity. We didn't think that the hog would survive as it had it's skin (and spikes) completely removed in a 40 mm circle and was red-raw. (Think cutting off the top of a boiled egg). I did not expect Winston as he was named to survive but with a honey dressing twice a day the wound reduced and disappeared after a month or so. Winston was quite tame by this time so went into a couple of schools to show the kids... The hedgehog was fed well and overwintered and was released this Spring. A happy ending. Would he have survived without the honey dressing I wonder?
 #1215  by Patrick
 28 Oct 2018, 18:19
Hedgehog with a honey dressing just sounds a teensy bit Hugh F-W if you ask me Adam!

Nice to hear the little fella survived his ordeal, it certainly is not typical. I wonder if honey dressings will regain popularity with antibiotic resistance becoming more prevalent.
 #1229  by AdamD
 30 Oct 2018, 15:34
I found the original photo of Winston (sorry a bit gorey) and then one a while later on the kitchen table (smaller photo) shortly before the would healed completely.
 #1230  by AdamD
 30 Oct 2018, 17:19
Here's the second picture
 #1232  by Patrick
 30 Oct 2018, 18:28
Strewth!!

I am absolutely amazed it survived that. All credit to the carer and their efforts. Sadly not unusual, very common cause of mortality for things like grass snakes as well.