BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Which Poly.

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #1415  by AdamD
 24 Nov 2018, 10:34
tidymeup wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 00:28
AdamD wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 08:41

I also bought a MB Poly (Paradise hive) and a Paynes poly National too.

The MB design looked promising however errors in the bee space and lack of compatibility with Nationals meant that I bought no more.
Please could you explain the errors in the bee space? We have a good few of these in use at the moment.
There are few errors in the Paradise National (and from early models which might have changed).

1) A standard excluder does not fit as the Paradise box has curved corners and is a little smaller.
2) The space for a top bar should be just over 17 inches so the top bars can slide. The Paradise space is exactly 17 inches so you can turn a box upside down and empty frames will stay there - in use, sliding the frames is a pig.
3) If you use two brood boxes, there is not a bee space between the bottom of the top frames and the top bars of the frames in the lower box. It's only 3 mm, so bees will be crushed and comb will be built there.
4)The frame runner design is rubbish - bees will always get crushed under them as there is no refuge - you would usually expect to see a thin contact strip as a frame runner.
5) The mesh floor will allow for ventillation OK however there is as much plastic as there is gaps - I suspect that many of the varroa that we would hope to fall through would stay and be able to return to the nest.

As mentioned - some of the points raised may have changed since the early ones were supplied. Apart from that, bees do well in them!
 #1417  by tidymeup
 24 Nov 2018, 12:55
Many of the points mentioned certainly have changed, the frames for the boxes as they should and their is plenty of space when used as a double brood.

Mesh floors are certainly for ventilation but research has shown they have little to no impact on varroa at all. All hives are currently supplied with aluminium mesh.
IMG_2377.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG
 #1422  by AdamD
 25 Nov 2018, 19:50
It looks like there have been some improvements from the original, which is good to know.