BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Baited brood box advice

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #6907  by Beehive_yourself
 07 May 2020, 10:40
Hello,

I have a poly BS National brood box with a single frame of drawn comb in. I've set it up as a bait hive to try and attract a swarm. Yesterday it was buzzing with activity for the first time (it's been set for around 3 weeks), so I filled the rest of the box with frames with foundation in and took the temporary floor away to leave the usual mesh floor.

I did not see the queen on a brief inspection - but it was hard to tell.

By the evening, all the bees had gone again. Did I scare them off? Either way, I set the brood box back to how it was (a single frame) and today the bees have come back with interest.

My question is: How long should I leave it before intervening and putting frames in? I don't want to be too eager and scare them off again, but also, I don't want to leave it all too long. Any advice?
 #6909  by AndrewLD
 07 May 2020, 11:24
I am sure we covered bait hives not long ago - have you searched?
The bees you saw would have been scout bees that recruit other bees to come and look. You should not disturb them or they can easily be scared off.
If you follow the Cornell University paper on bait hives (search!) it should be an enclosed space so put the solid floor back in and minimise the entrance.
I would always have a full set of frames in because they will quickly build comb inside.
Don't open it or go near until you know a swarm is in there. If you believe a swarm is there - try sneaking up after dusk and listen - that will tell you.
I had a swarm yesterday, couldn't get to it, bait hive under, loads of bees in & out and the swarm disappeared from tree, back after dusk to find a few scout bees inside and no swarm - sometimes they go in, decide they don't like it and leg it elsewhere :(
 #6910  by Beehive_yourself
 07 May 2020, 11:37
Thanks (and sorry to hear about your swarm)!

I had been following the article on the Dave Cushman site, but he didn't go into specifics about how long to leave them before going in and putting the frames in.

I guess as they are back today and there is only the one frame in there, it's probably best to leave it like that until they appear settled?

In the meantime, I'll go and search the forum for past advice (I must admit I didn't try as hard as I should) and check out the Cornell University paper.
 #6922  by AdamD
 08 May 2020, 19:46
I would leave the box until the swarm has definitely arrived. Once they have decided it's their now home, you can then inspect, remove the comb that's hanging from the crown board if there's space for them to do that, as they invariably will(!) and you're on your way. I have seen a mature queen laying in 2 - 3 days.