BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Wired Framed Queen Excluder

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #5979  by Ruishton
 19 Mar 2020, 00:02
This is the Queen Excluder with the round bars.

Which way faces the brood box?

One side is relatively flush with its frame, the other side has a couple of millimetres of space.

Thanks,

Ruishton.
 #5980  by NigelP
 19 Mar 2020, 08:22
It depends if you are using top or bottom bee space in your hive.
Most hives bottom bee space so I use mine with the space towards the brood box frames to create top bee space , in essence I'm now using both top and bottom bee space.
I've found if I use it the other way round so the wires lie flush with the top of the frames the bees wax and propolise everything together making it troublesome to remove it smoothly at inspection time.
 #5989  by Patrick
 19 Mar 2020, 23:13
You often find over time the QX frames get propolised to the brood box. Get into the habit of easing the hive tool under it and then running round at least three sides to free it before gently lifting it up.

It will save the corner joints and make the frame last a lot longer. You often see people simply free one corner then use force to lever up the remainder before it cracks free. The twisting forces are pretty high and will lead to the framed excluder failing before its time. It also can “ping” off bees and give the box a slight jolt, which is hardly helpful as a first hello to the bees. Takes seconds when it’s a habit.

If you have a colony that are real propolisers you can even give the underside of the frame a smear of Vaseline to prevent it getting stuck down - though I will be honest and admit I didn’t manage to keep doing it very long :D

Always take a moment before using a wired excluder to check all the wires are exactly parallel. Newly mated queens are particularly crafty at discovering imperfect gaps and squeezing through to end up laying in the supers. More than once a “disappeared” queens in “queenless” hives has eventually been found merrily laying in supers. A right pain in the proverbial which can also happen with slotted steel excluders if they get bent slightly.