BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Beginner's Honey Extraction Methods?

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #4243  by NigelP
 24 Jul 2019, 16:50
Japey Edge wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 08:42

Maybe need to start by purchasing an old "parts only" extractor.

I like tinkering, will give most things a go once...
Go for something un-motorised and add motor...I think it could be one of those things where the wheel has already been invented...the parts are out there.
What you need is control of the acceleration. I had a thrones 3 speed motor went from 0 to very fast very fast and blew a lot of frames. Now I have a 20 frame abelo extractor and got Damien to programme a slow acceleration. Blew my first frame of the year this afternoon...some set honey in a frame with unset sat on top...still it got to speed 7/10 before the wobbles kicked in the frame blew out,
 #4246  by Japey Edge
 24 Jul 2019, 22:30
NigelP wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 16:50
Japey Edge wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 08:42

Maybe need to start by purchasing an old "parts only" extractor.

I like tinkering, will give most things a go once...
Go for something un-motorised and add motor...I think it could be one of those things where the wheel has already been invented...the parts are out there.
What you need is control of the acceleration. I had a thrones 3 speed motor went from 0 to very fast very fast and blew a lot of frames. Now I have a 20 frame abelo extractor and got Damien to programme a slow acceleration. Blew my first frame of the year this afternoon...some set honey in a frame with unset sat on top...still it got to speed 7/10 before the wobbles kicked in the frame blew out,
Oof that sounds messy! I initially thought I fancied radial as it meant no flipping, and at first glance it seemed tangential would be more likely to collapse frames. As I continue to research it I keep flipping between them.
I remember your advice a few weeks back - buy the best I can afford. I may have to sweeten up the Mrs Jazz... A lot!
 #4247  by Patrick
 24 Jul 2019, 23:06
Tangential is maybe more likely to distort combs but they generally come to rest or become embedded in the adjacent cage wall. They don’t tend to explode. You can usually gently push them back and the bees will fix them up again.

It is the unsupported newer combs full of unextractable granulated honey or pollen filled combs or honey filled but spun too quickly too suddenly that tend to go bang in a radial. Then the whole comb needs to be cleaned out and foundation replaced.

My only issue with motors is depending on the design and controls it is easy to overdo it too early and shake the thing to bits, placing huge strains on components. Take a bit longer and any imbalances between frames is less critical and don’t aspire to get out every last gram either, the bees will benefit from anything to clean up.
 #4252  by Japey Edge
 25 Jul 2019, 11:43
Seems like I need to look a bit deeper into it to see what works best for me. With only two full sized hives I don't need much. I'm hoping to get to 4 full sized nationals but can't see that getting past Mrs. Jazz....
 #4254  by NigelP
 25 Jul 2019, 13:23
Unless you have a swing basket type tangential you have to spin one side of the super frame slowly to remove some of the honey, turn them over and extract t'other side then turn them, over once again to extract the rest of the 1st side.
With a radial you put them in and extract.
Get something with a motor...hand cranking is fine (oooer misssus) if you only have a super per year, but pretty wearing and time consuming after a while....
 #4284  by AdamD
 26 Jul 2019, 19:30
Agrinova that supplied my extractor is no longer in business. I contacted the manufacturer in Italy, Giordan and their UK reseller is:-

Mr John Belcher
Valhalla 6 Kennedy Drive PANGBOURNE
READING-BERKSHIRE RG8 7LB
Phone: +44 07929586037
Email: [email protected]
 #4323  by Japey Edge
 29 Jul 2019, 16:49
AdamD wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 19:30
Agrinova that supplied my extractor is no longer in business. I contacted the manufacturer in Italy, Giordan and their UK reseller is:-

Mr John Belcher
Valhalla 6 Kennedy Drive PANGBOURNE
READING-BERKSHIRE RG8 7LB
Phone: +44 07929586037
Email: [email protected]
Thanks Adam :-D