BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• New to Bee Keeping

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #3999  by Patrick
 08 Jul 2019, 19:08
Unfortunately things can also change over time. I gave a mate a nuc of my bees some time back, which are relatively calm Somerset locals and they have obviously bred with Cornish drones local to him. The outcome several generations down the line has not been great and he is now looking to re-queen again.

So don’t assume that what you start with will remain the same over successive generations without some attention.

Never tolerate awful bees, they rarely fix themselves.
 #4003  by Japey Edge
 09 Jul 2019, 08:47
What Patrick is saying is especially important if you're putting them in your garden. When I was asking about whether to put them in my garden or find somewhere further from home to put them, I was warned that if my bees became aggressive and started displaying unwanted traits I could find it difficult if they were in my garden. I haven't experienced it with mine but apparently some bees follow you. Easier to deal with if you have an apiary out the way. Neighbours will be less affected too.

As it turns out, I had to start up in my garden while waiting for an allotment. Since then, my neighbours have been more than happy with the bees, nobody has been stung. My bees don't follow me. One or two get in the house on my jacket but they were just resting.

Still, mine aren't the best behaved, but I can check feeds without my jacket/veil. I just can't move my hands fast over the top of the frames as that agitates them.

Make sure of the temperament of your bees before you install them in your garden.