BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Smoker and fuel... suggestions?

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #3391  by Patrick
 05 Jun 2019, 19:35
Chrisbarlow wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 17:13
Sheep grass pellets? Do they really work?
😄 Well they have for me for the last decade anyway!

Some people struggle to get them lit / smouldering, but the secret is emptying the partly charred / charcoaled remains of the previous burn out first and lighting a ball of shredded cardboard (or a disk of rolled cardboard). That burns quite hot and then drop back in the previous contents sans ash on top and give it a few puffs.

It lights without issue and then top up with a couple of handfuls or so of fresh pellets. Lovely cool grass smoke that will burn unattended for a couple of hours and minimal ash. Single annual clean of smoker is all that is needed.

Not saying that other materials do not work - they do - but for my use which may be a up to a three hour stint if there is lot to do or a drive included, it’s the lowest fuss option. I cannot stand smokers going out or running out of fuel mid inspection, it never ever happens at a good time!

An excellent question Adam, problems with smoker fuels are very common and in my experience have resulted in virtually abandoned colonies as once- beekeepers have recieved too many pastings trying to inspect without smoke available and steadily reduce the number of inspections to zero. Not a good outcome for beekeeper or bees.

Only other thing I would add is buy a slightly larger smoker than you think you probably need. Unburnt fuel is no problem and excellent starting fuel for next time but keeping having to relight it or fuel running out is maddening beyond measure!
 #3392  by NigelP
 05 Jun 2019, 20:50
I think you should use whatever you want in your smoker that suits you.
I have lots of spare cardboard from boxes so use that as convenient and free.
I've used all sorts of other stuff in the past...all successfully.
I make rolls with a hole in the middle (makes a huge difference to keep them burning) and one of those creme brulee flame throwers to light the outside edges before slipping into smoker. One roll will do three apiaries...often still smoking from trip between apiaries.
Clean smoker out about once a year...but deffo get the biggest smoker you can.....the smaller ones are pants at burning many smoker fuels. I use a dadant cos I have lots of honey money to waste :)

#3394  by Patrick
 05 Jun 2019, 21:27
I used corrugated cardboard as well quite happily but it is not all the same, some is a lot denser than others and may burn slower or quicker.

Once made a batch with cardboard that I think had been treated with fire retardant as it was very reluctant to stay smouldering, so maybe fire test first before cutting and rolling up a batch..

That Dadant smoker looks a handy beast Nigel..
 #3411  by Adam Bee
 06 Jun 2019, 19:10
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I’ve got an idea which smoker I’ll get, and still thinking about fuel.

On the train home, though, I had this pesky thought.

How do you out a smoker out?

I have two Weber charcoal BBQs and these go out very quickly with the lid on and all the vents closed.

All of the smokers I’ve looked at don’t seem to have a way to snuff them out. Do you just wait it out, or pour the remains of your G&T into it before changing into your evening wear?
 #3412  by Chrisbarlow
 06 Jun 2019, 19:24
Grass stuffed in the end
 #3429  by Alfred
 07 Jun 2019, 13:37
The empty sugar bags made up as 'cartridges'

Layer of shredded utility bills(ones with red ink work best.....)
Layer of kindling wood shavings
Layer of wood offcuts blocks pine cones
Layer of semi dry grass strimmings
Light with BBQ lighter
Let it burn well before smothering with more damp grass then flip the lid on.

Maismores "smoker string" is actually baler twine btw
The electric smokers look more trouble than they're worth.
 #3434  by NigelP
 07 Jun 2019, 19:29
To put one out..stick it in a smoker box.....air tight...oxygen get used up...you get the jist.

#3457  by Adam Bee
 09 Jun 2019, 14:14
Alfred wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 08:20
Where did you get that box?- it would stop the smoker stinking out the car too!
Yes please. Very curious.