BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Smoker and fuel... suggestions?

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #3372  by Adam Bee
 04 Jun 2019, 23:49
So far I’ve inspected without smoke. Up until my last inspection, this was no problem. The little ladies were quite calm. This last inspection on Thursday, however, they were very tetchy, so I’m considering smoke.

Does anyone recommend a smoker and fuel? I have also seen several suggestions about getting a small blowtorch to light it. Is that overkill?

What are your experiences with smoke, smokers and fuel?

FWIW: I did try water mist, which appears effective in many videos. With my bees, however, they just look at me when I mist them and they say “puh-leeze” and a few flip me the bird and all just carry on as if I hadn’t done a thing.
 #3374  by Japey Edge
 05 Jun 2019, 07:07
Mine is just a cheap Amazon thing and it works fine. As for fuel, I saw what Nigel was doing by making cardboard rolls about 100-150mm long and taping with masking tape.
He's got a pic somewhere I'm sure :-)

It helped me get rid of a lot of old boxes in the garage!
 #3375  by Chrisbarlow
 05 Jun 2019, 07:57
From my experience you can pay 7 quid or 30 quid and you get the same smoker. There are exceptions though. Cheap and cheerful is the way forward.

I've got a blow torch for this purpose.

Dry twigs, leaves, rolled up cardboard, bark chippings, wood chippings, they all serve the same purpose, I tend to find if I mix fuels they burn better. Twigs and leaves tend to burn a little to quickly as can cardboard, wood and bark chippings can clog up. Mixed up, they work about right.
 #3377  by AdamD
 05 Jun 2019, 08:39
A blowtourch can definitely light the smoker when it's windy, but it's not necessary. Since mine died I have yet to replace it however one with an igniter that doesn't need a match to start it would be my suggestion.
I tend to use shredded cardboard which is what Thornes use as filler for packaging; so they are delivering me free smoker fuel! I also get it from work now and again. Rolled up cardboard works too. I did use some compressed cotton waste from Thornes - once it's started it does burn with a cool smoke.
I tend to leave some junk in the bottom of the smoker to slow the burning down a little and when I am spending a while looking through a hive I knock the smoker over on it's side to reduce the rate of burn.
 #3379  by Japey Edge
 05 Jun 2019, 08:53
I always use a blowtorch, just because I'm lazy and can't be bothered with matches or a lighter. Mine is the kind that just clips on to a camping gas (butane) bottle. Works great so far. Would be better if the trigger handled gas flow and ignition so it was easier one handed, but that's a minor thing :lol:
 #3384  by Jim Norfolk
 05 Jun 2019, 12:41
I also prefer natural materials in my smoker: dead leaves, bark, cones, dry rotten wood, dried grass. I used to use grass pellets used for animal feed when I needed a long burn. They burn for hours. I have no idea what potentially harmful chemicals might be in cardboard, so try to avoid using it. Like Chris I also use a mix and like Adam my blowtorch has also packed up but it was great when it worked.
 #3385  by Patrick
 05 Jun 2019, 13:33
Cheapo long stem cooker lighter from supermarket to light smoker fuel in a breeze

Long shredded cardboard (thornes packaging as Adam) as starter ball, then old fuel from last burn back on top and handful of sheep grass pellets ?? £10 a 20kg sack on top. Once lit which takes a couple of minutes tops will smoulder without attention for couple of hours and not go out. Used to use rolls of cardboard and they work fine, also hessian sacking and sawdust.
 #3387  by Cable_Fairy
 05 Jun 2019, 16:47
I got a long gas lighter that pokes all the way down the smoker, from Home Bargins some BBQ lighters made of wood shavings covered in wax, a big bag for a couple of quid. I have been using fallen pine needles and cones collected from around the local dam, which I keep outside so they are slightly damp but smoke very well. I do light the smoker every time but leave it near the hive, the bees seem to get the message.
 #3388  by Chrisbarlow
 05 Jun 2019, 17:13
Sheep grass pellets? Do they really work?
 #3390  by Adam Bee
 05 Jun 2019, 18:55
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the help and instruction.

I was at the association apiary last weekend and saw someone using a small amount of paper or card to start pellets. I was wondering what they were. Searching for “grass pellets” reveals quite a few choices.

It sounds like I should have a dig around the amazon and beekeeping sites for an affordable unit. I should also start keeping my grass clippings! Currently I just let them decompose and fertilise. Perhaps grass pellets are the solution to that.