BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Colony swarmed

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #13767  by AdamD
 02 Jun 2023, 11:50
This is a regular topic at this time of year when people call me - which is "My bees have swarmed - have you got a spare queen?" I have had a couple of these calls recently.
In most cases a new queen isn't required.

When a colony swarms the old queen leaves with around 1/2 the bees, leaving the colony with the ability to make a new queen - they won't swarm without a queen in the making so the purchase of a new queen is not needed at this point. If the beekeeper destroys all queencells, to mistakenly 'stop the swarm' there lies a significant problem! That's another matter.
So when will the new queen start to lay?
Assuming a colony swarms around the time the first queencell is sealed, this is the Prime Swarm, we have an 8 day wait until the first queen emerges. It's possible she will swarm out with 1/2 the remaining bees, leaving a younger sister to take over the colony. (It takes a couple of days for her to mature before she flies out with a swarm).
Queens will only mate in good weather and need 5 - 6 days to mature before they are ready for mating. So even in good weather, 2 weeks is the absolute minimum time from a swarm before a new queen is likely to be mated. Once mated it may be a few days before she starts to lay.
For this year - the caller I had the other day from the next village was worried that his colony was queenless as he had no eggs. I told him that I have around 15 virgin queens and I am waiting for good weather just like he is. For him and me, the NE wind is set to continue for the next week or so, so it will be too cold for queen mating. And as I explained, an introduced queen will be killed if there is a queen already in the hive so there's no point in introducing one.

If, upon inspecting the colony, there are polished cells where you would expect to see brood, there is a good chance that a queen is present. If the bees fill the 'laying area' with nectar, then there's unlikely to be a queen present.

My view is that after swarming, queencells should be cut down to one. (And an open queencell will reveal a larva in a pool of white sludge called Royal Jelly so you know it's there - so reduce down to one open queencell). Some suggest leaving two as 'an insurance policy.'
 #13795  by B1B2
 09 Jun 2023, 11:00
What’s the best way of introducing a queen?
 #13796  by NigelP
 09 Jun 2023, 12:58
There are several ways non are guaranteed to work every time.
I've a lot of success doing the following. When queen arrives in cage with attendants suspend the cage between 2 frames in your queenless hive. Make 100% sure there is no queen in this hive and search for hidden queen cells befoe doing this. Leave for between 48-72 hours (I prefer 72hrs). After this period just break the tab on the cage and let the bees eat their way through the fondant to release their new queen. I quickly check after another 48 hours that she has been released from cage. Occasionally she is still there, but usually released.
If all has gone well you should see eggs in a few days time.
 #13797  by Alfred
 09 Jun 2023, 14:21
If you've bought one it will come with instructions from the breeder and they all have variations on the theme or there's plenty of videos if you need a second opinion from Nigel's
Example
Code: Select all
https://youtu.be/KgzZ7Ik2Msk
 #13837  by Spike
 21 Jun 2023, 19:53
Doesn't leaving 2 queencells as some suggest result in a cast swarm?
 #13838  by NigelP
 22 Jun 2023, 08:13
I always leave 2 and (to date) not observed a cast swamr, usually find one cell opened and the other queen cell killed. Just inspected 2 like that yesterday. On the other hand, some have experienced a swarm emerging when leaving 2 cells.
.Might depend on the type of bees kept as well, naturally swarmy ones may more likley to send out a swarm with a virgin queen
I think it's up the individual beekeeper to make that call. My suggestion would be to start leaving 2 QC's and if you do get a swarm emerge, reduce that number to one cell in future.
 #13840  by AdamD
 22 Jun 2023, 10:16
I guess it can (also) depend on the process you use - if one does an artificial swarm and then a week later moves the colony with queencells to the other side of the original site - so losing all the flyers before the queen emerges, the urge to swarm will be as low as possible with all the flyers gone.

I leave just one queencell. If there are two decent ones from a queen I like, I might take one for a mini-nuc but then I can finish up with more queens and colonies than I know what to do with!
 #13843  by Alfred
 22 Jun 2023, 13:30
"My suggestion would be to start leaving 2 QC's and if you do get a swarm emerge, reduce that number to one cell in future."

I will be on the swarm list until July ;)
 #13849  by Alfred
 25 Jun 2023, 09:16
Ask the bees!
Peak season is May
I'm still getting calls but only a couple a week now.
End of July is pretty safe to say it's done if you want to apply the human calendar but with the climate change now taking hold things could skew that.