BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Colony swarmed

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #13854  by AdamD
 27 Jun 2023, 11:26
For my part of the world, early May to the middle of June are probably the peak 6 weeks. Before that, April is unlikely and by July, brooding is reducing. (I did go to a monster swarm a week ago which I collected with a new beekeeper and he is playing with that one).
I have been asked to collect swarms in September though.

I've collected three swarms this year and been given a crummy colony. Two swarms were with virgins. Not sure about the monster swarm yet.
Alfred, what's your tally so far? Or are you not saying? :lol:
 #13855  by Alfred
 27 Jun 2023, 12:13
Had the last Swarm in mid July last year according to Google photos

Swarm calls this year?- I just gave up counting at thirty.

The season starts with around half a dozen of us in the swarm list but by halfway through May it's only two or three for the whole county.
Correctly advised around ten that the swarm would move on.
I've declined attendance on at least a dozen on grounds of travel and chimney occupation.
Did two Wood burner lightings and three roofspace consultations on humanitarian missions.

If all these people uphold their promises the local hospice will be over 100 pounds up .

Actually collected eleven and astonishingly only two were VQ
Culled and combined four on behaviour charges so far.
The rest are still on assessment and the winners will replace my own utter rubbish until the fleet of buckies is complete.

I thought it was just about over but we had a big flutter of calls over the weekend.
 #13856  by AdamD
 30 Jun 2023, 09:52
I've just had one from our association so far this year - for any calls that come from out of my immediate area I have suggested the caller going to the relevant association to find someone to help.
I usually leave a swarm box under where the swarm was hanging and then collect in the evening when all the bees have found the queen in the box. In this way I am not leaving bees behind that don't know where they are. As this means two trips, I don't want (and don't have time for) long journeys.
 #13859  by Alfred
 30 Jun 2023, 13:12
At least.
Don't know how many the other guys had.
And that's only from the association website directory.
I have calls from previous clients including the Post Office ,chicken factory and local council.
Had one who was referred by their home insurance company-.
 #13860  by Alfred
 30 Jun 2023, 13:17
AdamD wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 09:52
I've just had one from our association so far this year - for any calls that come from out of my immediate area I have suggested the caller going to the relevant association to find someone to help.
I usually leave a swarm box under where the swarm was hanging and then collect in the evening when all the bees have found the queen in the box. In this way I am not leaving bees behind that don't know where they are. As this means two trips, I don't want (and don't have time for) long journeys.
That's why I've been declining collections that are off the route between the apiary and the house- it's not worth the time diesel and bother for feral bees.
I had two in town on the same evening so I boxed one and left it for the stragglers while I went and did the other
It had cooled down by then so I did a clean pickup of both and straight to the apiary.
 #13891  by Alfred
 10 Jul 2023, 17:26
Did a compost bin swarm today in the rain
They'd been there three days and drawn four small combs under the lid.
It was a polymer hot box type and struck me as a pretty darn good choice -completely weatherproof,heat from the compost ,insulation all round and plenty of room for expansion.
Except it had humans.
Someone begged me to take a look at some chimney bees on Sunday.
So I took a look and left.