BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• August Forage plants

• Gardeners Please help the less fortune people out, in howto's Guides & what to do
Gardeners Please help the less fortune people out, in howto's Guides & what to do
 #553  by AdamD
 10 Sep 2018, 15:18
For my bees August is usually a time where there are lots of bees and little forage available to them. What would be good to plant - either as garden plants or larger scale field/hedgerow plants to give some additional food before the ivy comes to the rescue?
 #556  by Nigel Pringle
 10 Sep 2018, 19:44
Tetradium daniellii
bee-bee tree
Late summer flowering and I think the name tells you which insects it is very popular with.
I've just bought some seeds...but it's a 5-6-year project to flowering
However, if you're into planting English native species...it's Korean.
 #562  by Patrick
 10 Sep 2018, 21:05
As mentioned elsewhere, we have an Abelia grandiflora in the garden and bees (both honey and bumbles) love it and it flowers profusely from mid summer into late autumn. Makes a dense bush, easy to prune and no effort to manage.

On the Welsh coast I have seen bushes of Escallonia absolutely mobbed by bees well into Autumn.
 #699  by DianeBees
 19 Sep 2018, 18:20
http://www.sheffieldbeekeepers.org.uk/t ... len-chart/

Looking at the pollen chart with just autumn on, there's some suggestions.
I've got borage still flowering in my garden, the privet did very little this year. We have a huge hedge near us that flowered very briefly. Usually it's out for weeks.

There's balsam flowering somewhere near but I would never suggest encouraging that. It's all along the M61 on one stretch.