BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What pollen are your bees bring back

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #5606  by nealh
 29 Jan 2020, 18:58
Noticed a little light pollen today on some foragers and didn't really take much notice as I was moving the hives 3 or 4 feet towards a new standing area , but assume it was Hazel as that is prominent early source around here.
 #5610  by NigelP
 30 Jan 2020, 12:28
Our first Snowdrop are now out, daffs and crocus miles away.
Found my first hazel catkins in a sheltered wood...but they are so young they have yet to produce pollen.
The good news is the temps are set to rise into double figures for the first time in what seems months....well a predicted 10C....but factor in the wind chill factor and no bees flying...DOH!
 #5617  by Chrisbarlow
 30 Jan 2020, 17:46
I've still not seen any snow drops flowering. Crocus have only just popped up and daffodil's are in bud but bees don't work em.

Been watching hive entrances today and not seen any pollen going in, but didn't stay long.
 #5623  by MickBBKA
 31 Jan 2020, 01:25
Although warm enough its been far too windy for the bees to collect pollen. Hazel is probably halfway through flowering as its been in flower since before Christmas. Snowdrops just appearing which are late and 1st Cherry Plum in flower which is 2 weeks early. Its all messed up. Once its warm and calm enough the Spring forage will be over before the bees got to it. Hence my relyance on pollen sub.
 #6278  by Chrisbarlow
 08 Apr 2020, 19:40
The bees are bringing lots of pollen back , all yellow.
 #6289  by AdamD
 09 Apr 2020, 10:06
Some lighter yellow for me as well as loads of OSR pollen. Some brick red occasionally (Blackthorn I would guess).
 #6292  by Japey Edge
 09 Apr 2020, 10:51
Much like Chris, all my bees are bringing yellow pollen in. No OSR round here as far as I know.

I'm the level below beginner with pollen and identifying plants, but I have a couple of friends I can ask to ID pretty much any plant (which is useful). So far in our area we have:

Blackthorn
Celandine
Pussy Willow - just starting I think
Gorse (just a few dotted about)
Ribwort Plantain

Whether they're much use, I do not know :lol:
 #6654  by stechad
 23 Apr 2020, 14:26
testing image link
Lots of this pollen coming in today.
if the pic isn't shown here's the link https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-chadbond/shares/hjg910
 #6665  by Steve 1972
 23 Apr 2020, 19:13
Mine where piling it in today on the first warm day of the year the list goes as..Gorse/Goat Willow/Blackthorn/Wild Cherry and OSR.