BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Forage , what's flowering in your area?

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #14387  by AdamD
 13 May 2024, 09:00
Rhododendrons around here are flowering well, with a buzz from bees. It has been said that Rhody honey is hallucinogenic, which might be interesting!
 #14396  by MickBBKA
 19 May 2024, 01:35
Hawthorn over 50% finished, Horse Chestnut well on its way. The OSR is going green and Dandelions well gone. I so wish Buttercup was used by the bees as its the most I have ever seen. Fields of solid gold but my bees would rather starve before ever looking at a buttercup. The colony at home smells very strong of Cow/Hedge Parsley which has become a saviour over the last 5 years. It loves rain and the growth after a week of sun is unbelievable. After these have finished that's pretty much it until next year. When I first started beekeeping my first inspections were in March. The June gap lasts from June until May now when I do my first inspections. :(
 #14398  by NigelP
 19 May 2024, 05:56
And 20 miles down the road.....the Hawthorne is looking magnificent, and the chestnut candles are just coming out. Coinciding with the best weather of the year. Got my second extractions to do this week, bees have gone crazy. Although far too many are showing swarm inclinations....
 #14442  by AdamD
 09 Jun 2024, 10:48
Portugese Laurel is flowering - we have a number of trees nearby and the smell is lovely! Bees seem to like it too.
Attachments
IMG_2317.jpg
Portugese Laurel
IMG_2317.jpg (310.43KiB)Viewed 518 times