BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• BeeBase.

• General Chat about Gardens & Flowers
General Chat about Gardens & Flowers
 #6762  by Steve 1972
 29 Apr 2020, 13:54
Had the regional bee inspector ring me earlier asking me how many colonies I had as I had not updated on there website since 2017..anyone else had a phone call.
 #6769  by Alfred
 29 Apr 2020, 18:23
Our local reps get canvassing fiercely every now and then- almost like they're on commission.......
 #6771  by AndrewLD
 29 Apr 2020, 18:38
I don't update the details on bee-base very often because when I tried to use it as a substitute for my hive record it dumped the info and wasted my time.

But - and it's a big BUT, I always keep the record right on active colonies and apiaries when I do my annual return.

The sheer amount of time wasted by our inspector trying to track down apiaries, some registered and some not is just leading to one thing - compulsory registration with the registration number displayed at every apiary - and that will lead to compulsory varroa treatments at a certain time and with a prescribed treatment, compulsory training and certification.

Having seen and read on forums the ad hoc approach of some - that might not be such a bad thing........

Careful what you complain about :|
 #6773  by Patrick
 29 Apr 2020, 19:27
Steve 1972 wrote:Had the regional bee inspector ring me earlier asking me how many colonies I had as I had not updated on there website since 2017..anyone else had a phone call.
Not yet. Suspect it is to do with maximising UK annual bee funding drawdown from EU while they still can. NBU Inspectors doing a task during lockdown they would never normally prioritise during peak fieldwork season.
 #6874  by MickBBKA
 05 May 2020, 03:03
Last year I had several calls regarding this, but as the software on their site does not allow me to remove apiaries that I now don't use I have abandoned it. Like many public services it is not fit for purpose.