BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Any swarms yet

• REPORT A SWARM FOR LOCAL BEEKEEPERS.
REPORT A SWARM FOR LOCAL BEEKEEPERS.
 #6503  by Chrisbarlow
 16 Apr 2020, 21:15
On a FB group, some one this week reported getting a swarm in Kent. I thought in Leeds we would be another couple of weeks behind. We weren't. A couple of friends each picked up a swarm yesterday in the East Leeds area.

Anybody else picked up any swarms yet and where were they?
 #6510  by AdamD
 17 Apr 2020, 09:05
None yet. I would say it's too early unless the colony was ignored (say left in one brood box) and ran out of space.
 #6512  by Chrisbarlow
 17 Apr 2020, 09:46
AdamD wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 09:05
None yet. I would say it's too early unless the colony was ignored (say left in one brood box) and ran out of space.
That's a fair comment but I've had double broods and brood and a halfs this last week that were running out of space
 #6518  by MickBBKA
 17 Apr 2020, 11:30
I have inspected almost all my colonies now and not seen a single queen cell yet although several had capped drone cells so mine should be a few weeks away from thinking of swarming, which is about right as they tend to aim for 2nd week in May most years.

I have heard a few of our local association members reporting queen cells but I think they sound more like supersedure rather than swarm prep from what they described.
 #6522  by NigelP
 17 Apr 2020, 13:09
Yup, goit a few supersedure cells myself. Nothing close to swarming. But lots of drones....mid April...unheard of.
Although I have noticed, in my bees at least, that they are drawing the play cups much deeper than previous years....all eggless to date.
 #6524  by Patrick
 17 Apr 2020, 13:22
[quote="NigelP
Although I have noticed, in my bees at least, that they are drawing the play cups much deeper than previous years....all eggless to date.[/quote]

I noticed this with a colony last year too. The cups were successively extended and thickened and to the point each time I inspected I was convinced they must be charged or at least have an egg in them. Nada all season. Very odd.
 #6534  by Steve 1972
 17 Apr 2020, 18:36
I have not had a few decent days of weather yet for inspections..that is usually done towards the back end of this month or the beginning of may..if my F2 colonies try to swarm it is normally mid June when the OSR is in full flower.
 #6547  by AdamD
 18 Apr 2020, 10:27
Chrisbarlow wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 09:46

That's a fair comment but I've had double broods and brood and a halfs this last week that were running out of space
I guess a nice problem to have!
 #6555  by Chrisbarlow
 18 Apr 2020, 21:45
AdamD wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 10:27
I guess a nice problem to have!
Checked a brood and a half today. No space and queen cells galore. It's now been demereed. The oil seed rape field that's next door helped
 #6600  by nealh
 20 Apr 2020, 22:56
My B & H garden colony swarmed last Wednesday, never di find the clipped Q. I heard them and watched as they took to the air in to a neighbours garden ( someone who was anti me keeping bees so close but he has been educated and enjoys the spectacle), he knows I clip and called across the gardens to me ' Neal they will be back soon'. About 40mins later they had bearded on the front of the hive.
My fault as I was thinking of Demereing them the week before but put if off, one very nice looking Q cell which should emerge today or tomorrow.