BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Foundation issues

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #6991  by Paddygwalker
 11 May 2020, 16:08
As a newbie, would appreciate thoughts on foundation. I left a nuc outside last year with 4 frames of new foundation and it is now white, not yellow. How do you keep new unused foundation in good condition. I spent some time making new frames over winter so I have about 100 made up.
 #6995  by stechad
 11 May 2020, 17:11
As long as it's clean and no moths or larvae it should be fine.
I have never had a problem with frames like that, sounds like it has dried out from the effects of the weather, might be a bit brittle but the bees will sort it.
 #7012  by Patrick
 11 May 2020, 21:22
Hi Paddy

If it has a real white bloom on it I may leave the box in the back of my car for a bit. I do have a tarp lining it but it has never yet got hot enough to do more than warm the foundation up a bit. Other vehicles may vary in that regard! You can also use a hand sprayer to spray a weak sugar solution onto them if it’s a super, it gets the bees up and on them.

I don’t think old foundation is a problem but it can sometimes distort if frames are not drawn out into combs promptly. Which is a right pain in the proverbial
 #7077  by Steve 1972
 12 May 2020, 22:07
Never needed to do anything with over excited frame making..if the frames are not needed i leave them in sealed boxes till the next year..i have some here three years old and still in one piece..
 #7079  by AndrewLD
 13 May 2020, 09:10
I am dealing with just this issue today. The foundation in frames given to me to replace a colony I donated is old, brittle and grey. I'll just pop it in the honey warmer for a couple of days at 40 degC and when it comes out it should be refreshed and the oils back on the surface. Much more acceptable to the bees or they'll just chew it to bits.
 #7089  by Chrisbarlow
 13 May 2020, 12:44
I bought a cheap hair dryer just for this . Works a treat
 #7090  by Steve 1972
 13 May 2020, 13:00
I have a load of old foundation around three years old..when i put it into any hives i never bother warming it up i just let the bees do that.. :D ..the only stuff i have really had chewed up was a batch of cheap stuff i bought from flea bay..lesson quickly learned.. :roll: