BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Frying wooden kit - anyone done it?

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #6855  by Chrisbarlow
 04 May 2020, 16:37
Has anyone ever fried their wooden boxes or floors etc...

Im thinking of frying kit but can't source a steal box big enough,

I'm thinking something 50cm square by maybe 30cm deep.

Any suggestions where I could get a box like that or any suggestions on something I could repurpose?
 #6856  by Steve 1972
 04 May 2020, 16:44
Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is frying the wooden boxes..regarding a metal box big enough have a look at some agricultural water troughs or maybe a old header tank from above the older type copper hot water tanks..
 #6860  by Chrisbarlow
 04 May 2020, 17:51
Ta Steve

It's popular with the Americans. You put parafin wax in a container, heat it up and try wooden equipment in it for say 15mins at a given temperature. The oil replaces all the air pockets inside the wood making it more durable. Heating up to a very hot temp.
 #6863  by Patrick
 04 May 2020, 20:52
I think it is only necessary if your woodwork is pine as often seems standard in the US. Kamon Reynolds has a couple of videos on it. A large galvanised water header tank such as houses once used would work but you’ve got to find one first and the volume of wax you would need to fill it wouldn’t be cheap either.
 #6865  by Chrisbarlow
 04 May 2020, 22:43
thanks Patrick.

I think the header tank would be a great find, I want it 50cm square so I can have a low amount of wax inside it and put crown boards and floors down in it, as for broods and supers, I would just do one side at a time. I do think a substantial amount of wax wouldnt be cheap though.

I will look up Kamon Reynolds.
 #6866  by Japey Edge
 04 May 2020, 23:05
Good shout Patrick I was going to mention Kamon. I was just watching one of his videos the other day. It looks interesting!
I'd love to try it but only for the experience. I run all poly hives so that would be a mess 😂