BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What are you currently making in the shed/garage/kitchen/patio/living room that's bee related

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #2795  by Chrisbarlow
 22 Apr 2019, 14:03
I seem to be making frames up for ever, although being foundationless I think they might be a little easier to do. Been working through a batch of 100
 #2799  by NigelP
 22 Apr 2019, 18:39
I won't touch foundationless for supers. The bees make a habit of drawing drone sized cells which they are reluctant to fill with honey. They will fill them eventually but their preference is to fill worker sized cells in the super. I now routinely melt down any super frames that have drone sized cells in them....they still sometimes draw them even on worker sized foundation. As they say a picture saves a thousand words....

#2804  by Chrisbarlow
 22 Apr 2019, 20:41
Jim Norfolk wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 18:17
Chris how do you do your foundationless frames? I tend to just cut the old wax out and use the frames as they are unless there has been evidence of disease. That saves a bit of work. I alternate them with frames with foundation.
I followed the apiarist blog way, I use a tongue depressor attached to the top bar and in brood frames I use 2 bamboo skewers either side to the bottom, I use a staple gun to attach the bamboo sticks and tongue depressor. In super frames I just use the tongue depressor. and nothing else.

I have not noticed the bees prefering worker cells over drone cells however I accept Nigels observations, all I would say it cut out the drone comb instead of throwing the full frame out and let them try again for worker comb just in that bit. they do indeed make a lot more worker comb than I ever thought possible however I raise queen and view this as a positive aspect of foundational frames but if I didnt want it, I would just cut that section of the frames out and let them have another go. I also find that if they are drawering it out in swarm season they put lots of drone comb in, but after swarm season they draw just worker cells so thats the best time to draw them out. they draw them much better on a box over the brood nest to. but thats the same for foundation. they draw them out best if inserted inbetween two existing drawn frames but i have put a full box of empty frames on and they have turned out fine but you definately get ones that are messed up. Not a significant amount but noticable.
 #2805  by Chrisbarlow
 22 Apr 2019, 20:43
NigelP wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 18:39
I won't touch foundationless for supers. The bees make a habit of drawing drone sized cells which they are reluctant to fill with honey. They will fill them eventually but their preference is to fill worker sized cells in the super. I now routinely melt down any super frames that have drone sized cells in them....they still sometimes draw them even on worker sized foundation. As they say a picture saves a thousand words...
I am going to try and keep an eye for that. I suspect it will be the same.
 #2878  by Chrisbarlow
 01 May 2019, 22:01
converting old brood boxes in to transpot boxes for selling colonies in. Attach a permanent floor and attached a crown board/roof and use 4 toggle cabinet catches to hold it in place instead of a strap. they then make great transport boxes.