BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What are you currently making in the shed/garage/kitchen/patio/living room that's bee related

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #7200  by Steve 1972
 18 May 2020, 11:02
I would love to leave the supers on for a single extraction but i have two reasons why a can not do that..the main one being OSR..i have it 300yards away from the bees and the little devils are piling it in..the other reason is i need to keep freeing the supers up..i have 24 on the hives at the minute and only one spare super left..i have another six on order for this week..what i have to do is remove the supers for extraction and replace the removed supers with empty ones with frames of drawn and undrawn foundation..my extraction set up is 70mile away from the hives so there is no way the extracted supers are going to be put straight back onto the hives..so what i need to aim for is more drawn supers than i need on site ready for the thistle and Phacilia flow as that honey flow fills the supers quicker than the OSR..busy times i know but worth it in the end.. ;)
 #7204  by Patrick
 18 May 2020, 17:39
Same problem here Steve. Not a lot of OSR Locally but they always find something that granulates enough to be a pain. Unfortunately there are several other wild crucifers that have the same impact as OSR.

I am fairly sure most seasons I would need nearly double my total supers if I left them on all season - most are on four now so the thought of lifting off 6 or more supers a hive each time to get to the brood chamber makes me ache to even think about it. Until this year I always lifted off in pairs for speed, but obviously must be getting old..

Also, unless I kneecap my hive stands I am also probably too short :lol: :lol:

Especially this year however, the thought of a single end of year extraction is a lovely prospect if it works. It was once the norm up to the age of OSR and is a great idea in a poor weather summer too. I do try and leave on the last added super to tide them over and just hope it gets used up rather than setting.
 #7206  by NigelP
 18 May 2020, 19:35
Monthly extractions for me, when supers are ready. Every months tastes different, from lemony through to dark toffee. Shame to blend all those "malts".
I have some spring honey without OSR and it is still runny 3 weeks after extraction. Today I extracted OSR honey, it will be set before the end of the week.
 #7208  by Steve 1972
 18 May 2020, 21:07
Patrick wrote:
18 May 2020, 17:39
Same problem here Steve. Not a lot of OSR Locally but they always find something that granulates enough to be a pain. Unfortunately there are several other wild crucifers that have the same impact as OSR.

I am fairly sure most seasons I would need nearly double my total supers if I left them on all season - most are on four now so the thought of lifting off 6 or more supers a hive each time to get to the brood chamber makes me ache to even think about it. Until this year I always lifted off in pairs for speed, but obviously must be getting old..

Also, unless I kneecap my hive stands I am also probably too short :lol: :lol:

Especially this year however, the thought of a single end of year extraction is a lovely prospect if it works. It was once the norm up to the age of OSR and is a great idea in a poor weather summer too. I do try and leave on the last added super to tide them over and just hope it gets used up rather than setting.
I have a spare hive stand..that i have to stand on..so you are not the only vertically challenged among us.. :lol: :lol:
 #7336  by Steve 1972
 23 May 2020, 17:23
My order from Abelo finally arrived today that i ordered eight days ago however Abelo posted the order by courier the next working day so not their fault..the fault which is understandable lies with this covid19 which is pushing these delivery drivers to there limits trying to deliver to key workers and the food industry on time..
One of the supers i ordered was damaged by the delivery company and after a quick pleasant and polite phone call today a replacement will arrive on Tuesday..i have found with this company that communication and customer service is second to none..

Anyway while this wind is blowing a hooligan and not much can be done with the bees i decided to recycle most of the packaging that was not full of parcel tape ..

#7337  by stechad
 23 May 2020, 17:45
Steve 1972 wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:23
One of the supers i ordered was damaged by the delivery company and after a quick pleasant and polite phone call today a replacement will arrive on Tuesday..i have found with this company that communication and customer service is second to none..
Totally agree Steve,
I had a new hive from them 2 weeks ago and also ordered a pack of 11 sn4's but only received 1 frame (lol who orders 1 frame) anyway a quick call and 2 days later the rest of the frames arrived.
 #7339  by Steve 1972
 23 May 2020, 17:52
stechad wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:45
Totally agree Steve,
I had a new hive from them 2 weeks ago and also ordered a pack of 11 sn4's but only received 1 frame (lol who orders 1 frame) anyway a quick call and 2 days later the rest of the frames arrived.
Dear lord my stomach is killing me here... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: