BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Project material source

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #9936  by Alfred
 02 Feb 2021, 15:00

https://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/3-way-elbow-128-a-tube-26-9mm/

I make/scavenge my own gear on principle but if someone is building a stand for example and are too superior to skipdip they could do worse.
The company also have a horticultural subsidiary which I have previously bought from and been very impressed with.
 #9939  by NigelP
 02 Feb 2021, 18:03
Nice one Albert...has given me ideas. I need to build 2 stands (for 8 hives) on very uneven ground. Was planning on fence posts and railings but will price this lot up and see if I co do a job where I can remove everything at end of tenure.
 #9940  by Steve 1972
 02 Feb 2021, 18:40
Good stuff Alfred ..it looks tidy but check the weight limits ..also them Alan Key fixing tend to come loose in time where they have put a small indent into the steel ..the last thing you want is one pulling out horizontally with a fully laden hive on it..
I am more a tube and fitting man myself with being Scaffolder..where everything can be leveled in..that Alan fixing stuff does not have the options like traditional scaffolding fittings.

Nigel..if we can source by hook or by crook some pieces of equipment i can build a hive stand to take any number of hives on any bit of land.. ;)
 #9945  by Steve 1972
 04 Feb 2021, 15:51
I have the scaffolding fittings Nigel so that will not cost anything..i do not have any 2in scaffolding tubes though and i can not get them for free..i can see the lad i am working for to see if he will sell any but he is short for equipment at the moment so it is 50/50 if i can get them from him..i have a generator and grinder so any cutting is not a problem..you will also need some type of pad stone to stand the legs on so they do not sink but anything will do for that..Let me know what length you are wanting each stand to be and i can work out exactly what you will need.
 #9985  by Steve 1972
 10 Feb 2021, 17:36
Not sure if this is any good to you Nigel..i will be moving these four to Alnwick mid March and with this pants weather and no bees flying i have been able to level the ground in my apiary so i can use my single hive stands ..

#9995  by Alfred
 12 Feb 2021, 13:43
Steve -run us through the setup with the correx,carpet and netting.
Seeing real people's arrangements is fascinating.

If we were careful to edit the photos, removing location metadata and giveaway background features could we not have a 'Reader's Hives' section?
 #9996  by Steve 1972
 13 Feb 2021, 10:23
Hello Alfred..the correx for sale signs are off cuts from my inspection trays on my home made floor..rather than wasting them i thought they would be ideal landing boards ..with them all being different may help with drifting and that stuff does not rot..the astro turf is a weed suppressant and the debris netting is to stop the bees undershooting the hive..