BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Cleaning smoker

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #9096  by AdamD
 06 Oct 2020, 14:51
My current smoker has a large deposit of tar and junk in the 'spout' between the plate with holes in it and the conical opening. Is there a simple way of removing it apart from blasting it with a blow-lamp?
 #9130  by Alfred
 08 Oct 2020, 13:50
Soda solution with a spud jammed onto the spout.
I leave the tar on as it is a final reserve of 'scent' when the fuel has given up.
 #9136  by AdamD
 08 Oct 2020, 19:25
I like the spud idea to stop any liquid leaking out. I'll have a go and see if I can clean it up soon rather than leave it all winter like I sometimes do with beekeeping stuff.
 #9574  by Little John
 08 Dec 2020, 22:43
As I make all my woodenware, there's always lots of sawdust around - which makes a great smoker fuel. At the end of each session I plug the spout with a wad of paper, which ensures that there's always some unburnt fuel left inside the smoker - which is then a breeze to light next time it's needed. All it requires is some lighted paper dropped in, and we're up and running in seconds.

But - this way of operating does create substantial tar build-up - so - all I do from time to time is place some shavings in the open smoker and pump away until flames start licking out of the top. Then I flick the spout almost into place, ensuring that it's kept open about an inch by courtesy of a short length of fencing wire.

By continuing to pump away, the flames created will eventually ignite the tar inside the spout which then begins to burn off. It's important to position yourself upwind, and if you should have neighbours, ensure that their washing isn't out on the line, as the dense smoke generated is very anti-social.

After the smoke has subsided, you'll be left with deposits which have the consistency of charcoal, which can very easily be removed with a few strokes of a putty knife, broad screwdriver, or any similar tool.
'best
LJ
 #11959  by Patrick
 14 Sep 2021, 13:29
After a season of use and abuse the smoker was looking very sorry for itself. One of the straps holding the bellows to the firebox was detached and it was puffing really poorly. Drilled out the old rivet and replaced with a pop rivet using the trusty pop rivet gun - used to use them all the time in the Seventies doing car body repairs on rusting Minis, hardly used one since.

The space below the mesh was full of ash and debris and to cap it off the bellows hole was largely blocked with what looked like charred crud, presumably drawn in on the fill stroke. Reamed that out to the original size and much better.

Unfortunately it is a large copper job (gift) and does not appreciate a blow torch burn up to deal with internal tar like I used to do with my steel ones. Any other ideas?
 #11960  by Alfred
 14 Sep 2021, 14:21
Caustic soda (the old fashioned pure stuff not the yellow plastic bottles cut with chalk dust),petrol or wd 40 etc to soften the tar then brillo pads to abrade it away.
You might find caustic soda eats your new pop rivets
I used to regularly repair my a40 farina with tinsnipped patches of galvanised sheet and pop rivets.It looked like a WW1tank and still failed its mot with reliability.

Brillo pads are also amazingly good and surprisingly sympathetic at de-proplising poly nucs.
 #11961  by Steve 1972
 14 Sep 2021, 16:53
I use hay as fuel and I have not cleaned it out for five years..
 #11963  by Patrick
 14 Sep 2021, 22:59
:lol: :lol: thanks for ideas. Thanks

I notice quite a few folk use hay - I probably don’t pack it in tight enough as it didn’t seem to last very long when I tried. Must give it another go, there is never a shortage. I use grass pellets anyway so not too dissimilar.