BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Bumblebee Villa and colony from Suttons @ £174.99

• Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
 #3290  by Chrisbarlow
 28 May 2019, 22:11
This surprised me, you can purchase online a Bombus terrestris Audax colony and a bumblebee villa for them to live in for £174.99 thanks to Suttons, made me smile that the villa is made in the UK but it doesnt state which country the native british bumble bee comes from. I suspect not he UK.

https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Gift-Ideas/Christmas-Gifts/All-Christmas-Gifts/Bumblebee-Villa-and-Colony_595930.htm#595930|CMRTabs1
 #3294  by AdamD
 29 May 2019, 09:30
I wonder how many they sell. Bumblebee colonies are supplied to commercial greenhouses for fruit pollination. I have seen them in action, these colonies cannot have come from the UK me thinks as their development is far too advanced for the season when they arrive at the greenhouse. They arrive in stout cardboard boxes with a pot of sugar syrup to keep them going. The commercial bumblebee colonies are not supposed to be released into the wild but kept in the greenhouses in case they spread disease to our local bees (presumably from the country they are imported from).
 #3298  by Jim Norfolk
 29 May 2019, 12:05
Why anyone would buy a bumblebee villa beats me. It is far cheaper to leave bits of the garden undisturbed and let the bumble bees make their own nests. Like leaving nettles for caterpillars this is a good excuse for minimizing gardening. :mrgreen: