BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Asian Hornet communications plan

• Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
 #14247  by NigelP
 19 Jan 2024, 18:38
its going to be everyone for themselves as per circumstances. Wouldn't expect anything else. Lots of interesting solutions (spend money) on line. Bee unit will not be able to cope with next years nest numbers, they will do their best but it won't be enough, so don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed.
But one thing they must do is tell us the area of the nests they find so we can check our apiaries. This" undisclosed location" is total crap and helps no-one.
 #14248  by MickBBKA
 20 Jan 2024, 02:06
mikemadf wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 17:13
Notify everyone and you may get hornet tourists clogging up sites.
Notify nobody and you will get maximum invasion of none native predator's. French beekeepers are facing 60-70% loses each year.
I could have had bait stations set up in a very large area for the Yarm situation if I had been made aware as I have access to 10,000's of acres of land in that area through beekeeping, angling, and syndicate shoots. But the NBU and APHA would rather keep quiet and allow this invasion so to protect their funding for the future. What other logical reason could there be ? They are dead at the wheel............
 #14250  by Polomadh
 20 Jan 2024, 17:18
It will be a fine balance at this stage. The last thing we need is a load of uninformed folk putting kill traps out that decimate anything buzzy in order to prevent the killer hornet from snatching small children
# I may have extrapolated the daily mail heading there
 #14251  by NigelP
 20 Jan 2024, 18:30
:D
Not really....if you view the Guernsey beekeepers Asian hornet Facebook page they found and eradicated over 250+ nests. What was more interesting was the lack of information on how it affected their beekeeping, which to me was a glaring omission.
In Turkey (I think) they have quite a unique approach to bee hungry hornets. They keep and train chickens/hens to eat them. Result well fed chickens and beekeeping as normal. I'll have to look up the details but will post when relevant tome revisited. Might not be practical for many of us, but what a great solution for those that can.