BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Strange Behaviour

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #7551  by Japey Edge
 02 Jun 2020, 17:58
I have one Abelo crown board. Will use that.

I'm in a bit of a pickle... The bees have been closed in all day today. I wanted to move them but they're just too heavy with two supers each. I need to split them down, even if just temporarily. I'm concerned this will stress the bees out.
I'm thinking of clearing whatever supers I can get away with clearing, taking them off and replacing with empty supers and then transporting them. If it's too heavy I will make use of blocked up crown boards and take the hives bit by bit.
 #7554  by NigelP
 02 Jun 2020, 21:39
Jazz, used to split hives and move many moons ago. Subsequently bought a hive lifter.
But before that I had to do the splits by myself....but if two of you dead easy. . You need a "lid" for the bottom box. You need a "floor " for the supers. Takes seconds, even if you do it yourself.
Process is split, separate with hive tool , put supers on "floor" and lid on brood box. You will loose a few bees....nothing is 100%.. Recombine at end of journey.
 #7557  by AdamD
 03 Jun 2020, 09:37
Yep, splitting and keeping the bees in their boxes is quite straight-forward - no need to clear the supers. An a helper does make it very quick - although how does the helper do that at 2 metres distance?!
 #7561  by Japey Edge
 03 Jun 2020, 10:21
Thanks for the pointers Nigel & Adam. My wife has been getting more and more involved lately so I think I know where my helper is!

Cheers again, I should have the equipment to do this