BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• when should a new queen lay eggs

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #7362  by stechad
 24 May 2020, 12:24
How long would you expect to wait before a new bought in queen to start laying.
I have always had buckfast bees but have never actually had to buy in queens since I bought my first nuc back in 2013, all my queens have been self created and as I live only half a mile from a buckfast breeder they have always been excellent queens, however the queens I currently have are poor to say the least and I am in the process of re-queening all hives.
 #7364  by Steve 1972
 24 May 2020, 13:07
When i make my nucs up with bought in Queens i remove the candy plug as soon as the cage is placed into the nuc..i know this is advised against but i have no option as my hives are miles away from where i work and live most of the time..
I check on them after seven days and the Queen is usually laying by then.
 #7365  by NigelP
 24 May 2020, 13:12
Lots of depends me thinks. My experience of Buckfast queens is usually shortly after they have been released from the cage...I usually check back a week after removing tabs and would expect to see eggs and young larvae.

Newly mated queens are different matter. I have three from supersedure cells, so all emerged roughly at the same time, 2 are laying like a train the 3rd is present but not yet laying.
 #7366  by stechad
 24 May 2020, 13:56
Thanks Steve & Nigel
I expected around 7 days, I know she has been released from the cage and accepted as I saw her when I went to put a feeder on the other day, will check for eggs next week.