BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Marking Queens

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #7223  by Patrick
 19 May 2020, 19:11
I have an well tempered Queen that lays well and is the size of the Lusitania. Despite this she is also a master of disguise and somewhat evasive.

After missing her the last couple of inspections, I noticed her green Posca pen spot put on only a couple of months ago has worn off again. I re-marked her but it isnt really good enough. I find the standard supplied dark blue / green and red posca pens quite dark and not particularly stand out. The white and yellow are much easier even if they wear off a bit. Personally I think the bright and light shades colours are a much better choice - marking according to year is of pretty limited value anyway IMHO.

I noticed that oil based Toma pens were being recommended by a guy on the Facebook page. Anyone tried them? I have used humbrol enamel in the day and even Tippex but anyone got better ideas?
 #7225  by NigelP
 19 May 2020, 19:55
I uses a similar brand to Posca, called Sipa pens (Search ebay item number 333546546086).
Cheaps as chips (£2.65 inc P&P) and never had a marking wear off yet.....famous last words...Like Posca they are oil based but seem more robust.
Being red/green colour blind I've always ignored the year marking system and gone for white. Which works well for my eyesight, except when the bees are on the Balsam late summer when they all have white dots.... :roll:
 #7231  by stechad
 19 May 2020, 21:31
Patrick wrote:
19 May 2020, 19:11
I find the standard supplied dark blue / green and red posca pens quite dark and not particularly stand out. The white and yellow are much easier even if they wear off a bit. Personally I think the bright and light shades colours are a much better choice - marking according to year is of pretty limited value anyway IMHO.
I have 2 posca pens bright light green and a bright pale blue I tend to alternate between the two, I got these from fleebay but not from anywhere bee related, think it was more of an art supplier @ 2.50 each so better colours and cheaper than bee suppliers.
 #7232  by stechad
 19 May 2020, 21:38
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNI-POSCA-Paint-Pens-Art-Markers-PC-1M-PC-1MR-PC-3M-PC-5M-PC-8K-PC-17K-PCF-350/302321604527?epid=1634381271&hash=item4663c597af:m:mgDrdDXsXutgmP-QwCySAiA

gone up a little though
 #7233  by Cable_Fairy
 19 May 2020, 23:00
I am using https://www.thorne.co.uk/queen/marking?product_id=4459 White and Yellow it seems to last most of the season, (well its still there from March!)
 #7235  by AdamD
 20 May 2020, 09:23
I try to stick to the corrrect colour although I have some queens that have pink marking which stands out quite well. (I bought a pack of 10 colours (Posca pens). The stuff generally stays on for a year or more; I have never used Humbrol model paint - as some used to suggest - I can't think that the smell would do much for acceptance of a queen once marked; I've never had a problem with the Posca pens. Except that if it's hot, you can get a large blob out as the ink expands inside the pen, so I always dot my glove first to make sure there's the right amount onthe nib.
 #7239  by Steve 1972
 20 May 2020, 14:11
I have always used the White Posca pens from fleabay..every year come first inspections the odd one needs remarking but never more than one per year.. i have heard of folk using nail varnish/tipex and other solvent based colours but i would worry that those types may harm the Queen in some way..