BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Moving Eggs

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #7166  by Japey Edge
 15 May 2020, 19:02
Hi everyone,

When I extracted a super the other day I noticed, during uncapping, a single capped drone cell. Full sized. I uncapped it and pulled a grub out.

I've heard of workers moving eggs into queen cells, but could they have moved this egg through the queen excluder and into the super frames?

Or do I just have a dodgy queen excluder and the queen decided to pop up to tell me but return back down because we're friends and she respects what I'm doing? :lol:

This is my swarmy colony with queen of unknown status that I want to requeen (virgin? got eaten on her mating flight? Who knows? not me!!)
 #7167  by Steve 1972
 15 May 2020, 20:09
i often get the odd one Jazz..when you start getting super frames full of drone brood alarm bells start ringing..had three laying worker colonies to date and dear lord what a nightmare they are..lost a bought in Queen to one..found her dead outside the hive..not meaning to worry you but for some reason bees do seem to move egg's about for reasons i do not know..
 #7168  by NigelP
 16 May 2020, 09:38
Laying workers....All hives have a small percentage of them. Their eggs can only become drones.
When a queen lays an egg it has her pheromones on it, which tell the worker police it is one of hers. If it doesn't it usually gets removed. But if a laying worker lays one or two far from the brood nest, like in a super they sometimes get missed by the "police".
 #7172  by Japey Edge
 16 May 2020, 10:48
Ah that's interesting, and reassuring.

I was wondering if my timeline for queen introduction to what I will refer to as "dodgy colony" was shortened.

Thanks for that guys.