BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Figs and Willow trees and are they bad for bees?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #6844  by JohnnyLondon
 04 May 2020, 12:53
A daughter of a friend who lives in Italy is thinking of keeping bees. She has heard that figs and willow are, in some unspecified way, bad news for bees. Since both plants are very common in the area this is of some concern.

Have you heard this, and if so, do you know why it is?

Thank you for any help on this. My feeling is that it is not true...
 #6845  by Patrick
 04 May 2020, 13:12
On the contrary Willows are very good for bees, particularly in terms of early pollen.

Figs are pollinated by wasps, so not an issue for bees. The wasps do get trapped in the process, so maybe that’s where the belief came from?
 #6861  by JohnnyLondon
 04 May 2020, 19:40
Patrick wrote:
04 May 2020, 13:12
On the contrary Willows are very good for bees, particularly in terms of early pollen.

Figs are pollinated by wasps, so not an issue for bees. The wasps do get trapped in the process, so maybe that’s where the belief came from?
That's great thank you Patrick
 #6862  by JohnnyLondon
 04 May 2020, 19:41
Steve 1972 wrote:
04 May 2020, 13:40
My bees benefit greatly from early flowering willow..the Male trees produce pollen and if I remember correctly the female trees produce both nectar and pollen.
Thank you Steve
 #6875  by Alfred
 05 May 2020, 06:34
There is a pretty revolting symbiotic relationship between figs and wasps.
The female wasp burrows into the fruit and tears off her wings in the process.She lays her eggs and dies.
The male offspring mate with the females then die.
The females then escape from the friut, transferring pollen to their destination host.
The dead insects are absorbed by the fruit.

Mmmmmmm protein.