BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Labelling

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #6105  by Japey Edge
 29 Mar 2020, 17:39
Hi everyone,

We've been designing our labels for our 227g hex jars and just want to make sure it's right. I've tried to bypass all the websites offering labelling advice and get straight to the source - UK law. Unfortunately I can't find much in "The Honey (England) Regulations 2015" - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348/made

Basically I want to know if I can just put my name and postcode on, with an email address as means of contact? I don't mind being contacted, it's just I'm not keen on the security risks of dishing out my home apiary location.

Alternatively, my Ltd Company has a virtual address - could I put that on with an email address?
 #6107  by NigelP
 29 Mar 2020, 17:53
Surname, post code and email address. With an email address you might get away without a postcode. The idea is that you must be traceable. As 50% of our village has the same post code as me I'm not worried about my home apiary address being discovered.
Make sure your weights are the right height font.
 #6108  by AndrewLD
 29 Mar 2020, 19:06
Assuming you have all the other stuff pinned and are not going to call it something you can't back up, I suggest you check your chosen design with the E H Thorne's website offering and make sure your's matches in terms of font size etc. If it doesn't match, check carefully.....
 #6109  by MickBBKA
 30 Mar 2020, 03:21
As long as they can track you in case of an issue with your product then I think you are fine with an address, email, phone number. I use my address. Thing is I take a lot of notice of honey sales as I travel around the country and I am gobsmacked at the amount of outlets selling honey will illegal labelling. I reckon its about 75% of independents ( large national outlets are usually ok ). So I believe for the most part the powers that be either don't have the resources to police it, only act if its reported or turn a blind eye ( maybe not ) Some of the crap I see on sale in my local area makes my blood boil as I do everything above board. We will never be able to sell our product anywhere near what it costs to produce while some idiot is selling their 100% organic honey for £3.00kg in a Tupperware tub with a inkjet label and no weight, BB date, country of origin etc :
 #6112  by AndrewLD
 30 Mar 2020, 09:33
Ditto - and I am sure you are right about no-one left to police it.
But my advice to our beginners has always been very simple. You can tickle the nose of the sleeping tiger but one day it will wake up and bite your head off. I just put my name, road and village - that would find me.
 #6114  by Japey Edge
 30 Mar 2020, 11:51
Thanks for the pointers guys. I'll leave it as name and postcode then. Pretty easy to find me from that.
 #6118  by AdamD
 30 Mar 2020, 13:30
I had some honey tested by Trading Standards a few years back. They didn't complain about just the name and postcode on the label.
 #6122  by Japey Edge
 31 Mar 2020, 08:58
Cheers Adam I think I'll just do that then.