BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• expanding brood

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #5865  by Alfred
 03 Mar 2020, 16:13
I've got a maisemore poly-Nuc that's almost full.
Is it too early to put on a second brood chamber(one or two central frames of comb and backfilled with frames of kingspan)?

Record 11 degree temp today and busy bees but it's set to revert back for the forcastable future.

I really rather not break up the main nest by putting them into a full national just yet.
Also it would set things up nicely for a split later on....

I have to replenish the fondant soon so it seemed like a good opportunity
Y/n?
 #5866  by Chrisbarlow
 03 Mar 2020, 19:19
If frames are drawn comb then yes but the box should really be crammed full
 #5867  by NigelP
 03 Mar 2020, 19:47
Steady Tiger....most of your bees are currently winter bees that will die off shortly....there will be a population drop around March/April before all the new replacements kick in.
I'd say it's a call more based on numbers of frames of brood....which means a very quick inspection. 11c...do-able...we have not got above 8C for months.
Say you have 3 stores left remove one of those etc
 #5868  by Alfred
 03 Mar 2020, 19:57
Got it thanks chaps.
If I'm feeding homebrew sugar cake and pollen sub fondant do they need their own stores?
So the ones swirling in front of the hives,this box had about 50 at lunchtime,what age would they be?
 #5870  by MickBBKA
 04 Mar 2020, 02:06
OMG.... 5C daytime and -1C tonight, bonus is wind dropped below 25mph for the first time in 12 weeks.
 #5873  by Alfred
 04 Mar 2020, 06:37
Yep
On my way up there today but expected rain 5c and 15 mph so plan b
Tea and choc hobnobs.

Acquired some secondhand 8x4 kingspan sheets so I might build myself a poly hive to hibernate in.
 #5874  by Patrick
 04 Mar 2020, 08:50
Sounds the best plan Alfred.

A couple of bright days and flying bees gets us thinking about Spring and cracking on - then its back to cold and overcast. Will leave them to it a while yet.

Yesterday started with ice on the windscreen, then warm bright sunshine and light breezes at the a western tip of Cornwall, then freezing winds on the north coast and back down to 3.5 degrees arriving home in the evening. An inevitable lunchtime fresh hot pasty did help offset the chill however.
 #5875  by NigelP
 04 Mar 2020, 11:20
Alfred wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 19:57
Got it thanks chaps.
If I'm feeding homebrew sugar cake and pollen sub fondant do they need their own stores?
So the ones swirling in front of the hives,this box had about 50 at lunchtime,what age would they be?
Therein lies the rub. If they have sufficient stores and pollen left from the previous year then no need to feed. If they are empty of both then you need to feed.
It takes many years to get a feel for what is happening. Hefting hives gives you some idea. But nothing beats a quick inspection to see what is actually going on. Looks like we might see 10C + next week, will take opportunity to check one or two of mine....very quickly.
 #5880  by thewoodgatherer
 05 Mar 2020, 14:45
Patrick wrote:Sounds the best plan Alfred.

A couple of bright days and flying bees gets us thinking about Spring and cracking on - then its back to cold and overcast. Will leave them to it a while yet.

Yesterday started with ice on the windscreen, then warm bright sunshine and light breezes at the a western tip of Cornwall, then freezing winds on the north coast and back down to 3.5 degrees arriving home in the evening. An inevitable lunchtime fresh hot pasty did help offset the chill however.
Lucky sod, love to live done that way :lol:
 #5881  by Patrick
 05 Mar 2020, 18:17
👍. Always important to track down a proper pasty to keep your strength up 😁