• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #4664  by Patrick
 30 Aug 2019, 11:27
NigelP wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 18:06
2 wasps does not a siege make.....
There has to be a Monty Python sketch there surely.. :D

Two in a minute for a made up nuc with uneven age distribution bees , no guard bees visible, a bought in queen and a post title of “fighting off wasps” suggested to me that “ignore it” was not maybe best help. My general experience is by the time most people ( no offence to Jazz here) notice wasp attention it’s already well underway.

Interesting to see about the early morning raiders. Need to look out for that, don’t get to my bees first thing generally.
 #4665  by Japey Edge
 30 Aug 2019, 11:48
None taken Patrick! We're all friends here (I think :D)

I asked my wife if she minded chilling in the garden and watching the nuc. She's reporting seeing wasps going in and coming out. Might be time to tape up the entrance?
 #4667  by NigelP
 30 Aug 2019, 14:18
Patrick wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 11:27
NigelP wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 18:06
2 wasps does not a siege make.....
There has to be a Monty Python sketch there surely.. :D

Two in a minute for a made up nuc with uneven age distribution bees , no guard bees visible, a bought in queen and a post title of “fighting off wasps” suggested to me that “ignore it” was not maybe best help. My general experience is by the time most people ( no offence to Jazz here) notice wasp attention it’s already well underway.

Interesting to see about the early morning raiders. Need to look out for that, don’t get to my bees first thing generally.
I agree, but it depends on the circumstances. As soon as this nuc has accepted it's new queen and she is laying it is going to be united to hive of "lively" local bees, so it won't remain a nuc for very long.

Was on the moors checking hives this morning and saw 2 large bumble bees enter a hive unchallenged ....should I be worried /wry grin/
 #4673  by Chrisbarlow
 31 Aug 2019, 12:37
My general experience is by the time most people ( no offence to Jazz here) notice wasp attention it’s already well underway.

I agree Patrick. Once you notice wasps then you really do have an issue.

I checked some nucs last night and one nuc had been killed off by wasps. No bees, queen, stores or brood but a few wasps. They looked so innocent.
 #4674  by Patrick
 31 Aug 2019, 13:59
Same as rats. “ I think l’ve seen a rat” = you already have several rats.

I actually don’t mind wasps but boy, do I hate rats. I know it’s not rational, but that has a rat in it as well so is overrated. Which has yet another rat. See what I mean?
:roll: ;)
 #4694  by Japey Edge
 01 Sep 2019, 19:03
I'll go back in tomorrow after work and take the cage out. Hopefully she'll be in the nuc and we can move to the nail-biting 5 day wait for acceptance