BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

  • Varroa in my new nuc

  • General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3553  by NigelP
 13 Jun 2019, 14:16
repeat post
Last edited by NigelP on 13 Jun 2019, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
 #3555  by NigelP
 13 Jun 2019, 14:19
AdamD wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 11:56
In fact many beekeepers treat too late in the year. With the treatment taking a month and then 3 more weeks before bees emerge after treatment, September is not the time.
I'm afraid I'm guilty of treating for varroa late in September, through October and sometimes into November.
No choice in the matter, as my bees don't come back from the heather moors until 2nd or 3rd week of September.
Too cold for apiguard so OA (Apibioxal) vaporisation for most; although I sometimes use amitraz strips in my most distant apiary to save me a 20 mile round trip every 5 days.
Up here I find many queens take a brood break on the heather (often nowhere for them to lay with nectar piling in).. So they don't seriously start laying their winter bees until late September around these parts.
But if using apiguard then August is usually the last month when day time temps are high enough for it to be effective...And I wouldn't be treating in August anyway as the bees that haven't gone to the heather are piling the Himalayan balsam nectar in until early Sept.
.Even if the temps where compatible with apiguard I'd bin it anyway.. as it has very variable results....
 #3556  by NigelP
 13 Jun 2019, 14:28
ccarman wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 13:49

Please advise what you would do treatment wise and I hope there isn't CBV in there aswel!
Just go with the apiguard and hope it works.
As you will be monitoring you will see what happens. Don't worry about the rest of the stuff...acarine is unlikely.....
But bear in mind if apiguard doesn't work (and it won't work in temps like we have at the moment, you need 16+ C) be prepared to get something in that will.
 #3559  by AdamD
 13 Jun 2019, 21:28
NigelP wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 14:19
AdamD wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 11:56
In fact many beekeepers treat too late in the year. With the treatment taking a month and then 3 more weeks before bees emerge after treatment, September is not the time.
I'm afraid I'm guilty of treating for varroa late in September, through October and sometimes into November.
No choice in the matter, as my bees don't come back from the heather moors until 2nd or 3rd week of September.
Too cold for apiguard so OA (Apibioxal) vaporisation for most; although I sometimes use amitraz strips in my most distant apiary to save me a 20 mile round trip every 5 days.
Up here I find many queens take a brood break on the heather (often nowhere for them to lay with nectar piling in).. So they don't seriously start laying their winter bees until late September around these parts.
But if using apiguard then August is usually the last month when day time temps are high enough for it to be effective...And I wouldn't be treating in August anyway as the bees that haven't gone to the heather are piling the Himalayan balsam nectar in until early Sept.
.Even if the temps where compatible with apiguard I'd bin it anyway.. as it has very variable results....
I am aware of the different treatment criteria when Heather is concerned - I was waiting for your comment! And I don't get enough HB to worry about - thre's some a fair distance away so it is not too significant.
 #3560  by NigelP
 13 Jun 2019, 22:26
AdamD wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 21:28
- I was waiting for your comment! And I don't get enough HB to worry about - thre's some a fair distance away so it is not too significant.
Hate to disappoint Adam ...(Big cheesy grin).
We are quite fortunate uuuup North as our season goes on for quite an extensive period.
 #3629  by MickBBKA
 17 Jun 2019, 02:52
[[/quote]
Hate to disappoint Adam ...(Big cheesy grin).
We are quite fortunate uuuup North as our season goes on for quite an extensive period.
[/quote]

Not that the Southern BBKA would ever reflect this in the terrible generic advice they give about winter prep.

Cheers, Mick.
 #3672  by Wingnut
 19 Jun 2019, 16:46
It appears I am in the same boat, albeit with a captured swarm rather than a purchased Nuc.

It is, naturally, very disheartening as a novice.

Just over a month in a new hive and the colony is now ejecting a small number of drones with deformed wings. Presumably these are rejected new brood. The bottom board shows some varroa mite and probably indicative of an unhealthy state of affairs within the brood box.

I have Apilife Var and MAQS on order pending a decision to treat. As a newbie I am unsure of the wisdom in treating at this time and the colony needs a trained eye to assess exactly what is going on.

A NBU inspector will call next week to have a good look and check it out.

The advice provided here is invaluable especially with regards the efficacy of various treatments. Horror stories of lost queens and absconding colonies as a result of interventional therapies does not inspire confidence.
 #3674  by NigelP
 19 Jun 2019, 17:03
Wingnut wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 16:46
. As a newbie I am unsure of the wisdom in treating at this time and the colony needs a trained eye to assess exactly what is going on.

A NBU inspector will call next week to have a good look and check it out.
A few days should have little impact and Bee inspectyor shoudl sort you out.
But if it is serious varroa numbers + DWV = Dead colony.
I would suggest that if this is what is found then treating will be a foregone conclusion regardless of the time of year.

Welcome to the forum, albeit not a nice way start.
 #3675  by Wingnut
 19 Jun 2019, 17:22
Thanks Nigel.

I am no longer a virgin beekeeper.

It is a little sad. The colony is doing really well! But that is probably deceptive. So far just half a dozen rejected drones with 'spaghetti' wings.. most likely with DWV. My understanding is that if Varroa mite infection is an issue then it is possible that the colony could recover once the current brood stock has been treated. I remain optimistic and the Summer is still young. I will detail here the findings and opinion of the Inspector.

If push comes to shove what do you think is the best treatment?