BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Complete beginner offering a home?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #144  by Poppyhoney
 27 Jul 2018, 21:32
Hi there, I have 6 acres of beautiful land with neighbouring woodland I wondering if there was a scheme whereby beekeepers put hives on others land? Have no idea if this is feasible. I am interested in keeping bees of my own but really don’t know where to start. Maybe learn from someone else keeping bees on my land. I would pay for the hives but wouldn’t know how to look after them. Can anybody help?
Thank you.
 #145  by DianeBees
 28 Jul 2018, 12:24
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Where do you live?

My first suggestion would be to join a local club and find out what beginners courses they have. Many clubs offer hands on practical training in their own apiaries to prepare you for looking after your own bees. They may also have a mentoring scheme to support you.
 #149  by Patrick
 28 Jul 2018, 21:46
I think your local Association division might be High Wycombe and District.

As Diane suggests why not do a course over the Autumn then maybe decide if you want to keep bees on your own land. If not, then offer the local association a place to host somebody else's kit and bees who I am sure would be very happy to put some hives on your ground.

I would not go down the route of offering to pay for all the equipment but having somebody else managing them, if they decide to withdraw from the arrangement of looking after the bees for whatever reason in the future you could be left with a tricky situation of what belongs to whom and not being able to look after the bees properly but still owning hundreds of pounds of kit with bees in. Go for one option or the other but don't mix them.

Enjoy finding more about bees whichever route you choose!
 #150  by Poppyhoney
 28 Jul 2018, 22:03
Thank you Patrick for the advice. Yes, I will start with contacting my local association. The option of hosting a hives or hives would definitely be the best route. Many thanks again. You never know next time I post I’ll have more knowledge and hopefully starting up myself!
 #162  by Patrick
 29 Jul 2018, 13:29
Poppyhoney wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 22:03
Thank you Patrick for the advice. Yes, I will start with contacting my local association. The option of hosting a hives or hives would definitely be the best route. Many thanks again. You never know next time I post I’ll have more knowledge and hopefully starting up myself!
Heck poppy, I wouldn’t let a lack of knowledge hold you back from posting questions or comments!

It has never stopped me :lol: :lol: !!