BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• AH Traps

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #142  by Haz
 27 Jul 2018, 16:27
From where can one obtain small amounts of epoxy coated wire mesh suitable for AH traps? If I can make this trap I hope to persuade my Club to stock some.
 #143  by DianeBees
 27 Jul 2018, 16:41
The simplest source for us was a local car spares shop that sells packs of single sheets of mesh for repairs.

If you have an old varroa floor you could use some of that cut up. Or

The NBU say mail order or bee supplies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6MUekAjMo

This ebay has some in different size sheets - search epoxy covered mesh
 #341  by nealh
 19 Aug 2018, 09:31
I refuse to use AH traps as unless you are going rigidly visit them everyday more harm will be done to non targeted species for the sake of catching one or two AH to say look they are here.

I think better to keep an eye out for hawking and to put out open bait trays where they may be seen to come and go, sweet bait for early season and fishy bait for Autumn on.
I keep a pair of hives at a Network Rail office site which is a green bee freindly purpose built place, there are a few who watch from a distance and so have eduacted some of the workers to let me know if they see large hovering insects in frront of the hives.
My hive gardens are placed in front of nettles so not much scope for hawking but awareness and reporitng is my view, also have one of those battery rackets to zap them with for id confirmation and eveidence of presence in the area.
 #372  by nealh
 21 Aug 2018, 20:38
I am helping a newish beekeeper with some mentoring as and when contacted, and visited his site with him yesterday.
Recently he has put up two traps as he saw a hornet taking a bee and one which he say's entered the hive.
Looking at the contenets inside the swilling traps, I could see plenty of wasps and a few hornets all looked like V.c. A lot of flys and quite a few large moths.

As previously mentioned unless traps are regularly visited untargeted species will be killed and at a time when a lot are in major decline. Unfortunately the traps I saw were just typically drowning traps with no mesh above the swill/liquid concoction.
Better I think to use a small shallow tray receptical placed in your garden where you can see any untoward visitors more frequently. Shallow trays don't have to be near or close to bees as use of the correct attractent food source, will soon attracted V.v/AH if they are in the area.

I can understand using an early spring trap for the hopeful capture of V.v queen/s but do believe untargeted specie capture should be thought about as birds and bats also rely on these for food source as part of the eco system.
 #378  by DianeBees
 22 Aug 2018, 14:46
The traps the Bee unit promote are monitoring traps and need looking at every day and the non-asian hornets releasing.

No one sells a monitoring trap and the simply traps to make are all killing traps.

An unattended monitoring trap will become a killing trap unless it's checked daily.