• VERY angry bees

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3056  by NigelP
 12 May 2019, 22:40
Patrick wrote:
12 May 2019, 20:50
The short answer Woodgatherer, is yes.
LOL...a big affirmative from Nth Yorkshire.....
 #3057  by Jim Norfolk
 13 May 2019, 08:21
I don't know if this would help but can the guard bees see you from the hive? I also have my hives in the garden but face the entrances towards the back fence and have fencing and shrubs obscuring the view back into the garden.
 #3076  by thewoodgatherer
 13 May 2019, 20:25
Jim Norfolk wrote:
13 May 2019, 08:21
I don't know if this would help but can the guard bees see you from the hive? I also have my hives in the garden but face the entrances towards the back fence and have fencing and shrubs obscuring the view back into the garden.
No is the answer to that, we were even sitting round the corner a good 15-20m away. These bees were clearly angry and I'm fairly confident that we would have been stung had we stayed in the garden, it was just the odd one or two but they were very persistent and even followed me indoors at one point. Today in contrast all is back to normal I even wondered down to the hives and stood within 5m without being buzzed. I have never seen this behaviour from them before although I had done an inspection earlier and removed a queen from one hive which is persistently making queen cells again after a standard artificial swarm last month.