BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Rape seed

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2802  by Bracecomb
 22 Apr 2019, 20:33
Last week on inspection there was nothing in supers this week almost 2 full supers, but not capped.
How long does rape go on for as I may have to make more frames up for my spare supers in a hurry, I don't want to put to many supers on but must also be aware of space in the hive.
Its has been if flower here in Kent for about 8 days but the weather was cold at first so there was no nectar.
Today they were as grumpy as hell, inspected 14 hives and got stung 4 times so don't think rape and grumpy is a myth.
Last edited by Bracecomb on 22 Apr 2019, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
 #2803  by Bracecomb
 22 Apr 2019, 20:41
I should have posted this in what's flowering in your area :|
 #2806  by Chrisbarlow
 22 Apr 2019, 20:49
thats a really good quetion. OSR in Leeds, West Yorkshire has been flowering for weeks and I am told where I have an apiary it has just another two weeks. Consider the OSR round me is a month early. So normally it should have been flowering till the end of May in normal year.

Another post by NigelP comments that a field near him is only just starting but he is in North yorkshire a lot closer to the heavens than I am. It might also be spring sown OSR but he will be able to confirm this I susect.

I have always consider the OSR flowers for 6weeks from start to finish but this include winter sown OSR (sown last year) and spring sown OSR (sown this year).
 #2807  by NigelP
 22 Apr 2019, 21:16
Chrisbarlow wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 20:49
. It might also be spring sown OSR but he will be able to confirm this I susect.

I have always consider the OSR flowers for 6weeks from start to finish but this include winter sown OSR (sown last year) and spring sown OSR (sown this year).
Nope, it's winter sown...just at 900 ft above sea level . Because of low yieldsand some .losses due to Neonic ban many farmers have simply stopped growing the stuff around us. Spring sown flowers around July/August .
Can't say I've notice any increase in bee/insect numbers since the ban was introduced.
 #2808  by Bracecomb
 22 Apr 2019, 21:39
I better start making more frames up another 5 weeks of flower.
Do I harvest each super individually or once the flow stops get them all off ASAP.
I take it that when there is more green than yellow in the field the rape has finished or has it finished before this.
 #2809  by MickBBKA
 23 Apr 2019, 00:46
Its usually best to harvest it as soon as it remains in the comb when tipped upside down and given a shake. If you notice it is starting to go cloudy before it is capped then I would extract it straight away or risk it setting in the comb. High ambient temps will have help keep the honey liquid, a sudden large drop in temps as forecast for the end of the week can start it crystalizing.
Keep a good eye on it.
 #2811  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Apr 2019, 06:50
NigelP wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 21:16
Nope, it's winter sown...just at 900 ft above sea level . Because of low yieldsand some .losses due to Neonic ban many farmers have simply stopped growing the stuff around us.
That was something else my local farmer mentioned about OSR. Due to pest problems he thought he wouldnt be growing OSR in another 5yrs , I think he is having some very real issues with pests
 #2812  by NigelP
 23 Apr 2019, 09:09
MickBBKA wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 00:46
Its usually best to harvest it as soon as it remains in the comb when tipped upside down and given a shake. If you notice it is starting to go cloudy before it is capped then I would extract it straight away or risk it setting in the comb. High ambient temps will have help keep the honey liquid, a sudden large drop in temps as forecast for the end of the week can start it crystalizing.
Keep a good eye on it.
Not a big problem for those using poly hives, as supers remain much warmer due to better heat retention. Have an odd cell in a frame set these days. But have been caught out with it setting in wooden hives in the past. Whilst the shake test is a good indicator that it's ripe enough to harvest....be careful.
I extracted some fully capped rape honey last season and was surprised to find it was running at 22% water content....took a bit of drying to get to down into legal limits.
 #2816  by Bracecomb
 23 Apr 2019, 21:23
Thanks guys
I will watch out for crystallisation but is very wet at the moment, all my hives are wooden so hopefully the bees will keep it warm. Should I check it more often than weekly on my routine inspection?
The first time I was surrounded by rape was 6 years ago and I missed it as my first nuc of bees did not arrive until may.
 #2818  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Apr 2019, 21:45
weekly inspections are sufficient.