BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Wax moth in supers

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #130  by Lua Lua
 26 Jul 2018, 09:22
Nice new forum! I removed a couple of supers over the last couple of weeks and hoping for another couple today. I am storing them in the huose, bee-tight for fear of robbing but I now see some evidence of wax moth in them. I cannot extract for a cuople of weeks. Are the wax moths going to cause chaos and spoil the honey in 2 weeks? No evidence of them in the original hive, but I suppose as we are storing them off the colonies, the bees can’t expel them. Any ideas?
 #131  by AdamD
 26 Jul 2018, 09:41
I have not seen a problem with wax moth in full supers myself. You could go through and dig out any larvae - although that could release honey which might be a bit messy indoors. Otherwise can you freeze them? A full super has a lot of thermal mass so would need to be in the freezer for enough time to get everything down to a low temperature - I would guess 48 hours.

I freeze cleaned out extracted supers for 24 hours - 4 per day as they become available - to kill any potential wax moth before sealing and storing for winter and it is an effective method.
 #134  by Lua Lua
 26 Jul 2018, 10:04
Hi Adam, thanks for the reply. I also freeze them empty but have never frozen honey or full supers before.