BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Help! Bee's everywhere in my Garden

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2648  by richr74
 08 Apr 2019, 16:06
Hi Everyone,

I've just registered for some advise and I apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I have a line of conifers in my back garden on the one side and whenever the sun comes out so do the bee's. I'm not sure if they are honeybee's or solitary bee's (I have very little bee knowledge) but the moment the sun comes out within 30 seconds there's hundreds of bees all over them and the surrounding area, then sun goes back behind a cloud and again with 30 seconds I can't see a single bee.

Now unfortunately although they are doing no harm my kids can't even go down the slide as that's usually got one or two on and the dog also keeps trying to eat them.

For the first time as well yesterday I noticed the bushes on the front drive were also covered which is right next to our car so getting in the car without the bees was also quite a challenge.

I can only assume there is a Nest somewhere but for the life of me a can't see where.

I've got a very close up picture of one but not sure how to attach it the this post..?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Regards, Rich
 #2649  by Patrick
 08 Apr 2019, 18:34
Hi Rich

Uploading a photo on here is apparently best done by linking to another photo hosting site and by the sound of it, a photo would be handy.

It doesn’t particularly sound like typical honey bee behaviour to be honest with the rapid switching on / off activity.
 #2660  by richr74
 09 Apr 2019, 10:00
I've uploaded to a picture hosting website, can't seem to get it to work on here though, sorry.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/xY2jjKv/20190408-143433.jpg[/img]

Visit this link to see image. - https://ibb.co/68yPPch
 #2668  by Patrick
 09 Apr 2019, 16:18
Hi Rich

Lovely photo's mate. As suspected not honeybees but what I think you have there is Buffish Mining Bee Andrena nigroaenea, your picture is probably a female. They emerge quite early in the Spring and will be emerging from clusters of small holes in dryish ground that may look like they have been drilled out.

The behaviour you describe is them swirling about in the sun to select others to mate with and then all settling down when it clouds over. The males have no sting and whilst the females technically do have a sting mechanism, they are highly unlikely to ever attempt to sting humans and it hardly hurts even if they do - certainly nothing like a wasp or honey bee.

Personally I would consider yourself greatly fortunate to be hosting, albeit briefly, such a wonderful and unusual wildlife spectacle and boast about it shamelessly to others less fortunate. Most people can only watch Springwatch on telly and you have it going on right there in your back garden.

I am highly jealous! :) :)