BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Temperature for spring inspections

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2915  by Chrisbarlow
 04 May 2019, 21:31
I agree about if something must be done , then I go in. Temp wise minimum is about 10°c , but inspections are quick. I've done a quick inspection before now in light drizzle. Not ideal but swarm control is a needs must sometimes.
 #2946  by nealh
 07 May 2019, 16:17
I tend not to leave inspections if there is a need to go in, do the minimum that is needed to tie you over for a better day,
if it is swarming actions then sooner is better then later.

Here today in West Sx quite breezy with slight chill but nice in the sun about 13c, inspected 7 colonies either side of noon and job done for the week. It also helps if you have good natured bees. All queens are clipped and 2 are in superscedure mode, one swarmed last week & clipped Q with a few K of bees now in a correx nuc box. Mean while knowing a new Q was imminent early this week quickly checked for any extra Q cells that need removing and just caught the new lady emerging . Job done now and can happily leave them alone now for 3 or 4 weeks.
 #2971  by MickBBKA
 09 May 2019, 01:58
Its a nightmare working 6 days a week. The weather has been the worst I can ever remember for May, I know the bees will be happily making swarm prep but I really don't want to inspect at 5C/6C temps and a blowing hoolie. Today I had to put my winter gear on for work outside, no way I can inspect bees. So I am going to prepare loads of nucs for swarm control as soon as I can have a look...…………...Who would be a beekeeper in the Northeast....FFS..!
 #2973  by Chrisbarlow
 09 May 2019, 08:16
Crikey Mick. I never thought the weather patterns would be so different. I didn't think Yorkshire was that far away from you but the weather patterns here have been very different this Spring. Good luck when you finally get in
 #2980  by Patrick
 09 May 2019, 10:38
Mick, I completely sympathise.

One of main May crop plants around me is cider apple blossom - it is all getting hammered at the mo and the bees are struggling to fly. I am well overdue inspecting but even I draw the line at opening hives in the rain..

Frustrating.
 #2998  by MickBBKA
 10 May 2019, 03:28
It hasn't been above 10C for over 2 weeks now. I know the first glint of sunshine they will all go nuts with cabin fever.
 #3034  by MickBBKA
 12 May 2019, 01:14
Just to add, I inspected 15 colonies today, 5 had numerous queen cells but strangely not huge amounts of swarm cells. They were all more random. But nearly all of them were capped. All still had the original marked queens. Temps were still only 12C here today so I think I caught them just before they swarmed which they would tomorrow or Monday. Second week in May has always been the date in my area except for last year after 3 weeks of snow in March.

Its amazing to see how much food they have got through though. Unlike my eternal pessimistic fears they still do have stores but have probably eaten 50% of them. I now have the problem of 50% crystalizing stores mixed with 50% fresh watery nectar. pffffff………….

Cheers, Mick.