BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Providing room to expand

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2551  by Newbee
 31 Mar 2019, 11:54
Hi all,

I conducted my first full check on my two colonies and both are doing well after their first winter. Indeed, one of them is almost full. Both colonies are in national hives. My question for the forum is what to do about giving them more room? I want to use the demaree method for swarm prevention, which requires two brood boxes, but each hive currently only has one box, and I have no spare drawn frames. Is it too early to add a second brood box with undrawn frames, or will this be ok? And is there a good way to make this work, eg should I move some the drawn frames up and replace with undrawn frames, or just put some, say 3 or 4 new frames in the second box? I’m a little south of London and the weather seems ok, but is there a risk of damaging the colony by putting a second mostly empty box on top? Finally, if it is too soon to add a new brood box, should I add a super? The bees inane colony are quite crowded and I don’t want to lose them in a swarm, so doing nothing doesn’t feel like an option.

Any suggestions or advice very welcome!

Newbee
 #2553  by Chrisbarlow
 31 Mar 2019, 13:32
When you say almost full, is that of stores or bees?

If it's stores I would add a brood box on top of it. If its bees I would make sure it doesn't need feeding. If its both, then add box.

How full is the second of stores and bees?
 #2554  by Patrick
 31 Mar 2019, 13:45
Hi Newbee

Predictably lots of options and none of them “wrong”.

I would super earlier rather than later this time of year. From the evidence of my first inspection yesterday, some colonies are booming. As you say, the early space is for expanding bees rather than nectar. If you want to double brood then go for it, but don’t be surprised if they mainly fill it with nectar and honey. Moving up a couple of frames into the top box will encourage them to move up.

You can put in above a Qx and extract the honey and then have a box of drawn combs but that may be too late for swarming this year.
 #2558  by Newbee
 31 Mar 2019, 17:02
Thanks both. I’ve added a second brood box with 5 frames and moved a couple up from the other box, and will see how they are doing next weekend. Exciting to see such a lot of activity, but as this is my first winter/ spring as a beekeeper everything feels exciting and terrifying in equal measure!
 #2559  by Newbee
 31 Mar 2019, 17:07
Chrisbarlow wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 13:32
When you say almost full, is that of stores or bees?

If it's stores I would add a brood box on top of it. If its bees I would make sure it doesn't need feeding. If its both, then add box.

How full is the second of stores and bees?
The hive in question is mixed stores and brood, with a lot of drone comb under the frames (disturbed by my inspection yesterday). This colony has been very active from when I got them as a nuc in June last year. The second colony came slightly later, and although the two queens are sisters, and the colony was larger when I got it, it has always been less energetic and slightly more aggressive. It was slow to take the winter feed in Autumn and is behind the other colony, but has reasonable stores and brood showing, it just has a little more space.
 #2560  by Patrick
 31 Mar 2019, 18:31
Chris asked the clarification I should have before responding! 😄

Just to clear up any misunderstanding- you put 5 frames plus two from below? Call me Einstein, is that suggesting you have only 7 frames in your second National box? Do you have dummy frames or whatnot taking up the remaining space? If not, there is a real risk of a lot of brace comb being built in between.

Maybe I misunderstood tho?
 #2564  by Newbee
 31 Mar 2019, 19:26
Hi,

Yes, 7 frames in the top brood box, with a couple of dummy boards either side (so 9 in total), plus a dummy board in the spaces left by mixing the other frames up from the bottom box. There is a gap on either side but I assumed the bees would focus on the middle, rather than building up the sides? I’ll be checking on them again next weekend, so hopefully there isn’t too much or a risk. I will be able to add some more frames then.
 #2565  by Chrisbarlow
 31 Mar 2019, 19:33
I would bin the dummy boards and replace with frames and any gaps left, fill with frames. Dont have any gaps any where other wise what you think the bees will do and what they actually do can be very annoying. this week, I have been cleaning 6 frame nucs up that I overwintered, I had to clean them up as the rather deep ekes I put on them with fondant were getting full of wild comb. Well I didnt expect that I can tell you. It took ages to sort out.
 #2566  by Patrick
 31 Mar 2019, 19:48
Likewise Chris. I tidied up the setups this week and was surprised at the amount of wild comb drawn.

Newbee, entirely reasonable to assume bees would focus on foundation and ignore open gaps they can draw free comb. Problem is they may see it differently. As Chris advises, if you have the frames to fill the box use them.
 #2570  by Newbee
 31 Mar 2019, 22:11
Many thanks for the helpful advice. I’m starting to realise that bees don’t always do what the theory suggests they should do! I will fill the box with frames and hopefully avoid giving them the chance to surprise me!

Thanks again.

Newbee