BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Best time for Bailey Comb Change?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2535  by cambsbeekeep
 30 Mar 2019, 17:08
I intend to do a Bailey Comb Change on some hives this year to get them from the current BS National brood boxes into Commercial brood boxes. What is the best time to undertake the Bailey? Should I do it now, or should I wait until the OSR has gone over and I have taken off the spring honey? (OSR just coming out here, but have not seen any fields of it near the apiary, only some miles away, which doesn't mean there are none nearby, just not within sight of a road).
 #2537  by Jim Norfolk
 30 Mar 2019, 17:46
What you need for the Bailey is lots of comb builders, so young bees and either a flow to get them to draw the wax or feed them. Looking at my bees there was a surge of laying at the end of February so those bees will be about the right age at the moment. There is then a gap and then another surge of laying in the past week of warmer weather. The weather is turning cold again so I would wait until the warmer weather and that second batch of young bees is ready so maybe end of April. The other advantage of doing it later is that you provide a lot of space and something for all those young workers to do building comb both of which hopefully should distract them from early swarming.
 #2539  by AdamD
 30 Mar 2019, 18:09
I would say it's too early.
How about putting on a super to get some OSR honey and as that's filling up, pop the new broodbox on top. Any excess OSR will be used to draw comb in the Commercial box. Then take the super off. You have some honey and with luck, the bees have already started drawing comb for you.

This months BBKA magazine has an article about the subject.